Friday, June 6, 2014

Happy National Doughnut Day

Today is National Doughnut Day!!  I didn't know that either until I read it on Carrots n Cake as part of the Photo a Day Challenge.

So, I guess, in honor of this day there are many doughnut shops and/or bakeries that are passing out free doughnuts.  But did I go visit them???  Of course not!!  That would make my life much too easy!

No...I decided to make my own doughnuts in honor of this day.  So I hopped over to Pinterest and found a recipe I liked from Gift of Simplicity for No Fry  Cinnamon Applesauce Doughnuts.  It sounded easy enough and they were baked and not fried so that appealed to me.  I also liked that they called for applesauce because I have a lot left from canning last fall.

I halved the recipe because I really did not want 3 1/2 dozen doughnuts around here tempting me.  Deleted the cloves because I didn't have any and set to it.


Mix and knead all your ingredients.
Mine was still pretty sticky but the directions did not talk of this so I left it.
In the future I would add flour until the dough is no longer sticky.


Allow to rise for one hour.


Turn onto a floured surface.
At this point I added about 1 more cup of flour to enable me to handle it without it sticking.


Roll the dough to about 1/2" thickness.


Cut into 2 1/2" rounds and cut 1/2" from each center.
Place on a greased cookie sheet and brush with melted butter.


Cover and let rise for another 20 minutes.
Preheat oven to 425* during this time.


Bake for 8-10 minutes


Brush both sides with melted butter and shake in cinnamon sugar.



Cinnamon Applesauce Doughnuts
slightly adapted from Gift of Simplicity

2 T. dry yeast
1/4 c. warm water
1.5 c. lukewarm applesauce
1/2 c. sugar
1 t. salt
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. nutmeg
2 eggs
4 1/2 c. flour
1/2 c. butter, melted
Cinnamon Sugar (made from 1/2 c sugar mixed with 1/2 t. cinnamon)

In large bowl of stand mixer, fitted with paddle attachment, combine yeast and water.  Add the applesauce, spices, sugar, eggs and 2 c. of the flour.  Blend on low speed and then beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Change out paddle attachment for dough hook and remaining flour, blend and then knead  with dough hook until smooth.  Cover bowl with a damp towel and let rest and rise in a warm area for one hour.

Turn out onto a floured piece of parchment paper.  Roll to 1/2" thickness.  Using a 2 1/2" round cutter, press out your doughnuts being careful not to twist the cutter.  Use a 1/2" round cutter, in the same manner to remove doughnut holes.  Place doughnuts and doughnut hole centers onto a greased cookie sheet and brush with melted butter.  Cover with a redampened towel and let rise for another 20 minutes.  Bake at 425* for 8-10 minutes.

Remove from oven brush both sides with melted butter and shake in cinnamon sugar mixture that has been placed in a brown paper bag.  Print Recipe


They got Frank's Seal of Approval!!

4 comments:

  1. You really ARE a superwoman my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy deliciousness! :) I just might have to try them. My Mom would love them. Cinnamon is her main staple and helps with dementia! Happy Doughnut Day Wendy! Love, Shelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shelly. How is your Mom and Dad doing? We have to go into Croswell when we get our chickens processed so I am hoping we can stop in for a visit while we are out there.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.