Wednesday, October 9, 2024

U is for Ukraine

While researching Ukrainian Recipes I came across this Cod in Tomato Sauce.  I served it for dinner for Fish Friday and was so pleased that I knew I wanted to share it with you.

Cod in Tomato Sauce

U is for Ukraine.  It is also for United and I join our country in supporting Ukraine in this war combatting the Unjust and Unfair takeover of their country.
We heard a lot about this war when it first began but the news now has been overrun with the problems in the Middle East and the current election in the United States.  I wanted to showcase Ukraine again in this alphabet challenge now that we have reached the letter U.

Before I proceed with my story of why and how I chose this recipe, let's see what the others are sharing today.....
Cod in Tomato Sauce pin

My regular readers may know that my family has hosted 5 foreign exchange students shortly after I retired.  I also worked as a representative for the company that arranged for the students to come to the USA.  My job was to interview the host families and schools and to maintain contact during their stay, offering cultural experiences and troubleshooting any problems that might occur while they were here.

I fell in love with all the children I hosted.  I consider them my daughters and sons.  I placed students from all over the world.  Russia, Ukraine, France, Germany, Denmark, China, Korea, and Georgia. I have maintained relationships with about half of the students I placed and we are in touch through social media.

One of the students from Ukraine was placed with our friends.  She also returned to the USA to finish high school and college.  While here she fell in love but after her school visa was over had to return to Ukraine.  Her guy followed her and they were married, then he returned to the USA and she remained in Ukraine awaiting permission to move back to the States.  

We spoke when the war broke out and she voiced her concern for her family and friends in Ukraine and related some of the trials they are enduring.  My Marina, who is from Russia, and now lives here in the USA, also has family in Ukraine as do so many citizens of each country.  It reminds me of our Civil War.  This Presidential election in the USA will have far-reaching effects throughout the world.

This is a small attempt on my part to remind my readers how fortunate we are to live in this free nation and how important it is to preserve our democracy by getting out and voting next month.  Our Country and the World are counting on us.

This recipe is based on one from Natasha of Natasha's Kitchen.  Natasha's family emigrated from Ukraine when she was 4 years old.  They were refugees with 5 young girls, arriving with only suitcases and the dream of a better life in America.  Through hard work and dedication, this dream became a reality.   Natasha is now a successful food blogger who has a YouTube channel and has had her recipes featured on television and in magazines.  She has written a cookbook containing her family recipes.

I hope you enjoy this meal and I hope it serves to bring about discussion at your dinner table.


Entrees, Fish, Cod, Tomatoes, Sauce
Entrees, Fish
Ukranian
Yield: 2 servings
Author: Wendy Klik
Cod in Tomato Sauce

Cod in Tomato Sauce

Tender, flaky cod in a savory tomato sauce.
Prep time: 10 MinCook time: 30 MinTotal time: 40 Min

Ingredients

  • 2 T. butter
  • 1/2 Vidalia onion, diced
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 3 oz. tomato paste
  • 1 c. vegetable broth or clam juice
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 3 black peppercorns
  • 3 allspice berries
  • 2 cloves
  • 1 T. lemon juice
  • 1/2 T. capers
  • 1/2 T. honey
  • 2 (4-6 oz) cod fillets
  • handful of flour
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1-2 T. olive oil

Instructions

  1. Place the bay leaf, peppercorns, allspice berries and cloves onto a square of cheesecloth. Fold to enclose and tie shut. Set aside.
  2. Melt the butter in a large saucepan, over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook until fragrant and onions are softened. Stir in the garlic and tomato paste and cook a few minutes longer until the tomato paste starts to brown.
  3. Add the broth or clam juice and the reserved spice packet. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
  4. Place a handful of flour, seasoned with salt and pepper, into a shallow bowl. Dredge the fish fillets in the flour mixture.
  5. Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the cod and saute 3-4 minutes per side until golden brown and flaky.
  6. While cod cooks, remove the seasoning packet from the sauce. Stir in the lemon juice, capers, and honey.
  7. Plate the cod and divide the sauce, spooning half over each fillet.

Notes

Adapted from a recipe found at Natasha's Kitchen

Nutrition Facts

Calories

425

Fat (grams)

24 g

Sat. Fat (grams)

9 g

Carbs (grams)

22 g

Fiber (grams)

3 g

Net carbs

19 g

Sugar (grams)

15 g

Protein (grams)

33 g

Sodium (milligrams)

1154 mg

Cholesterol (grams)

104 mg

14 comments:

  1. I am a vegetarian, but the other evening I had guests for dinner and bought some cod. I had no idea how to cook it and searched for recipes. Too bad my timing was off for this recipe. I'll keep it for another time. Yes, the situation in Ukraine is very upsetting. Yes, we need to vote in our upcoming election, but unfortunately I don't like either candidate . Scary .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our choices are limited but we need to follow our hearts and do what we believe will be best for our country and our fellow mankind.

      Delete
  2. The flavors sound like cioppino on a plate! Very yummy. We love a Northwest coast style red chowder, so this sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A tempting fish dish, love the color of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds delicious and I love reading the stories that go with it in your post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading about your international family through hosting. I, myself, never lived abroad during high school. My mom jokes now that if they had let me, maybe I wouldn't have run off to Italy after college. I am so glad that you picked a recipe from the Ukraine. I will have to try it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so enjoyed having my exchange students. It is amazing how quickly you forge bonds with children when they live in your home.

      Delete
  6. Wow, what an exposure for you too Wendy having hosted so many international students. That makes you more respectful towards other cultures. The world is truly become an unfair place with so many problems.One doesn't get solved and the other begins. As the African saying goes when two elephants fight it is the grass that suffers. In this case it is the ordinary people that suffer the most. Emigrating to another country is very tough.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks lovely! A perfect entry for the letter 'U'.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.