Wednesday, July 31, 2024

P is for Potatoes

During the Summer, I always try to have an assortment of salads in the refrigerator.  I never know who will be around at dinnertime.  Family and friends are often over enjoying the pool and it is great to have sides available for whatever I am throwing on the grill.  This Southern Style Potato Salad is always a big hit.

Southern Potato Salad

P is for Potatoes.......

We are working our way through the alphabet this year, one letter every other Wednesday, making a recipe that either starts with the letter or contains a main ingredient that begins with the letter.  This week's letter is P.

Let's take a look at what the others have brought to the table today......
Southern Potato Salad pin

This salad is lightly dressed in a base of Miracle Whip (or Mayo, if you prefer) seasoned with relish, dill pickle juice, onion, and garlic.


Salads, Potatoes, Side Dishes,
Salads, Side Dishes, Vegetables
Southern
Yield: 8-10 servings
Author: Wendy Klik
Southern Potato Salad

Southern Potato Salad

This salad is lightly dressed in a base of Miracle Whip (or Mayo, if you prefer) seasoned with relish, dill pickle juice, onion, and garlic.
Prep time: 15 MinCook time: 20 MinInactive time: 15 MinTotal time: 50 Min

Ingredients

  • 4 large Russet Potatoes, scrubbed and quartered
  • 4 hard-boiled eggs
  • 1/2 c. Miracle Whip
  • 2 T. mustard
  • 1/4 c. sweet relish
  • 1/4 c. dill relish
  • 1 bunch scallions, white and light green sections, sliced
  • 1 stalk celery, diced
  • 2 T. dill pickle juice
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1 t. onion powder
  • 1 t. garlic powder

Instructions

  1. Boil the potatoes until fork tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and let cool. Once the potatoes are cool enough to handle, slide the skins off and cut the potatoes into small chunks.
  2. Place the potatoes in a large bowl. Dice the eggs and add to the potatoes along with the celery and scallions.
  3. Whisk together the Miracle Whip, mustard, relishes, pickle juice, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
  4. Pour over the potato mixture and gently fold to coat. Refrigerate for at least two hours or until ready to serve.

Nutrition Facts

Calories

219.07

Fat (grams)

3.46 g

Sat. Fat (grams)

0.97 g

Carbs (grams)

41 g

Fiber (grams)

3.33 g

Net carbs

37.68 g

Sugar (grams)

3.28 g

Protein (grams)

7.71 g

Sodium (milligrams)

458.04 mg

Cholesterol (grams)

94.69 mg

18 comments:

  1. This potato salad looks lovely and inviting. It's been a while since I made potato salad and your dish inspired me now to make your version.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Potato salad is so comforting, it's one of my hubby's favorite things. His family introduced me to adding sweet relish to things, I grew up with dill only, so this sounds like a winner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This salad was a big hit with my family and friends. I hope it is with yours too Kelly.

      Delete
  3. I love that you used two kinds of relish! We love potato salad in this family

    ReplyDelete
  4. One can never go wrong with a good potato salad, almost everyone loves it. And it is filling. Like the idea of having a selection of salads in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of using two kinds of relish. My husband eats potato salad nearly every day so I'm always looking for new recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frank loves it too. I'm not a huge potato salad fan so I rely on his feedback.

      Delete
  6. I am definitely going to give this a try. I love relish of all kinds...and this has TWO kinds. Delish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My hubby loves potato and this salad is so good love the addition of eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds delicious and I wish I was that prepared! I am just chasing my tail this summer. I need to take the weekend and do some planning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My company leaves today. I'm taking this weekend to do some relaxing.

      Delete
  9. Oh yeah, I'm definitely going to have to try this recipe. You know me and potato salad...I refuse to let one go unsampled!!!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.