Friday, August 25, 2023

Grilled Chile Garlic Shrimp paired with a Torrontes from Uruguay #WorldWineTravel

The World Wine Travel Group is heading back to Uruguay this month.  I decided to open a Torrontes from Bodega Pisano.

Pisano Torrontes Wine

Pisano Winery is located in Canelones, Uruguay.  It is owned and managed by three brothers in the Pisano family, following the family heritage.  The Pisano family has been making wines for over a century.

I opened a bottle of Pisano Tannat last March that I paired with an Uruguayan Steak Milanese.  I was very pleased with that bottle and pairing, making me confident that the Torrontes would be just as lovely.

I have enjoyed other Uruguayan wine pairings that include Chivito Sandwiches with a Garzon Cab Franc and a Smoked T-Bone Steak with Bouza Tannat.

This is the first white wine that I have opened from Uruguay, however, it is not the first Torrontes.  This Torrontes from Argentina held up very well when paired with this Salad of Arugula and Pear.  I was making shrimp for Fish Friday and wanted a recipe that would pair nicely with this Torrontes from Uruguay.  I decided to go with Asian Flavors.

Shrimp in Marinade

While it is true that Uruguay is a fusion of mostly Spain, Italy, Portugal, and France.  I find that a well-rounded white wine normally pairs very nicely with the spices and flavors of Asian foods.  In this case, I decided to marinade the shrimp in a chile garlic sauce. 

Shrimp on Grill

Since the sauce contains citrus you only need to let it marinade for as long as it takes your grill to heat.  I cooked my shrimp in a grill pan, basting with the marinade and shaking the pan to help them cook evenly.  It only took about 5 or 6 minutes and the shrimp were smoky, tender, and juicy.

Shrimp on Salad

These shrimp would be delicious with steamed or fried rice and a side of stir fry vegetables.  I decided to take it easy and opened a bag of Asian Salad mixture that included almonds, fried wonton strips, and the dressing.  I brought in the shrimp, placed it on top of the salad, and dinner was served.  How easy is that?!!

Shrimp Salad with Wine

This wine is 100% Torrontes and was purchased at Total Wine for $19.  It is floral on the nose, with citrus flavors and a hint of spice that lingers after sipping.  I found it full-bodied and dry.  I enjoyed it both with dinner and while relaxing with my book afterward.

Our host this month is Camilla of Culinary Cam.  You can learn more in her preview post.  Make sure you stop by to see what the other members of the World Wine Travel group are sharing from Uruguay.


Grilled Chile Garlic Shrimp

Grilled Chile Garlic Shrimp

Yield: 4 servings
Author: Wendy Klik
Prep time: 5 MinCook time: 5 MinTotal time: 10 Min
Shrimp marinated in an Asian Sauce before being grilled while basted with additional marinade. This dish takes only minutes to prepare and is perfect on top of a salad or with a side of vegetable fried rice.

Ingredients

  • 1 lb. extra large shrimp (15-20 count), peeled,deveined and butterflied
  • juice and zest of 1 lime
  • 1 t. siracha sauce
  • 1 T. brown sugar
  • 5 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 T. ketchup
  • 1/4 c. olive oil
  • 1/4 c. sesame oil
  • 1/4 c. soy sauce
  • freshly ground pepper, to taste

Instructions

  1. Combine the lime zest, juice, siracha, brown sugar, garlic, ketchup, olive oil, sesame oil, soy sauce and pepper in a medium bowl.
  2. Add the shrimp and toss to coat.
  3. Heat a grill to med-high heat.
  4. Place the shrimp in a grill pan, reserving marinade.
  5. Place the grill pan on the hot grill and brush the shrimp with some of the marinade, cook, shaking the pan and brushing with marinade for about 5 minutes, until the tails curl up and the shrimp turn pink and firm.

Notes

Adapted from a recipe on Food Network

Nutrition Facts

Calories

372.51

Fat (grams)

27.75 g

Sat. Fat (grams)

3.92 g

Carbs (grams)

7.98 g

Fiber (grams)

0.27 g

Net carbs

7.72 g

Sugar (grams)

5.16 g

Protein (grams)

24.67 g

Sodium (milligrams)

1055.63 mg

Cholesterol (grams)

182.57 mg
Grilling, Shrimp, Asian, Quick, Easy, Marinade
Entrees, Seafood
Asian

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for joining me! I poured a Torrontes last night and was overwhelmed by the tropical aromas. Lychee! Your shrimp would have been amazing with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like it would be a marvelous pairing. Thanks for hosting Cam.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.