Saturday, August 26, 2023

Farm Life: Green Tomato Jam, Birthday Celebrations, The Weekly Menu

 I recently put out a call to my neighbors for some green tomatoes so that I could make some Green Tomato Relish.  I was gifted over 15 lbs of green tomatoes.  I only needed 7 lbs for the relish so I decided to use some of the rest making this Green Tomato Jam.

Green Tomato Jam on a bagel

This jam is filled with warm fall flavors of cinnamon and allspice.  It is quite sweet, I think it might benefit from the addition of a jalapeno or two should you have those growing in your garden.

Green tomato jam

I enjoyed some slathered on a bagel with cream cheese for breakfast.  I also think it will be delicious on crackers.  My friend Colleen shared a recipe for Green Tomato and Cheddar Drop Biscuits that are screaming for a schmear of this jam.  

When my 2 eldest kids were young, another couple in our neighborhood had children the same age.  All four of them attended the same private school and we shared carpool duties.  We all became close friends. Though we don't see each other as often as we did, the friendship has remained.  

Amy, Doug, Frank, and I are meeting up with the parents and their daughter, Stephanie, who just celebrated her 50th birthday.  That means that we have been friends for 45 years.  We are going to lunch at a local restaurant and then heading to Amy's house for dessert and swimming.  I am making a Banana Zucchini Cake.  Yes, I am still working on using up the zucchini we were gifted. 

We will just have a light dinner since we are having a heavy lunch.  I think I'll use up some more of those green tomatoes.

Tomorrow, Frank has invited the family over for my birthday celebration.  He had intended to order pizza, however, I have 2 quarts of Marinara that did not seal when I was canning.  I am going to use it to make some pans of Lasagna.

On Wednesday, we are taking the Angel Face on an overnight trip to the Air Zoo.  The Air Zoo is a hands-on museum located a few hours to the west of us in Kalamazoo.  We will have an opportunity to enjoy dinner with our friend, Sister Mary Ann that evening and will head home in the morning.

And then, POOF, August is gone and September has arrived.....Time flies.  What are you serving up this week?

Saturday
Fried Green Tomato, Bacon, and Lettuce Sandwiches

Sunday
Tossed Salad 
Lasagna
Birthday Cake by Frank

Meatless Monday
Tomato and Avocado Sandwiches
Corn on the Cob

Tuesday
BBQ Chicken
Macaroni Salad

Wednesday
Out for Dinner with Sr. MaryAnn

Thursday
Grilled Pork Chops
Baked Beans

Fish Friday
Bobo de Camarao
Steamed Rice
Summer Squash Skewers



Jam, Canning, Green Tomatoes
Canning
American
Yield: 6 half pint jars
Author: Wendy Klik
Green Tomato Jam

Green Tomato Jam

This jam is filled with warm fall flavors of cinnamon and allspice. It is quite sweet, I think it might benefit from the addition of a jalapeno or two should you have those growing in your garden.
Prep time: 5 MinCook time: 40 MinTotal time: 45 Min

Ingredients

  • 3-4 lbs green tomatoes, quartered
  • 4-5 c. sugar
  • zest and juice of 1 large lemon
  • 1 t. cinnamon
  • 1 t. ginger paste
  • 1/4 t. allspice
  • salt to taste

Instructions

  1. Prepare jars, lids, and rings for water-bath canning according to standard procedures. Place the canning pot filled with water on to boil.
  2. Puree the tomatoes, in batches, in a food processor. Place the puree into a large pot over med-high heat.
  3. Stir in 4 c. of the sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, cinnamon, ginger, salt and allspice.
  4. Bring to a low boil and simmer for about an hour until thickened and a temperature of 220* has been reached.
  5. Ladle into sterile jars, wipe the rims, and place the lids and rings on the jars. Lower into a water bath and process for 10 minutes.
  6. Remove from the water to a counter and allow to cool to room temperature. Check to make sure all have sealed properly. Any that have not sealed should be stored in the refrigerator and used within 1 month.

Notes

Adapted from a recipe found at Urban Cowgirl.

Nutrition Facts

Calories

641.29

Fat (grams)

1.03 g

Sat. Fat (grams)

0.07 g

Carbs (grams)

163.64 g

Fiber (grams)

3.18 g

Net carbs

160.47 g

Sugar (grams)

160.42 g

Protein (grams)

3.23 g

Sodium (milligrams)

68.63 mg

Cholesterol (grams)

0 mg

2 comments:

  1. Wendy, this is definitely a recipe I would love to play around with. It sounds delicious…and maybe worth breaking out all of the canning supplies for!!! Thanks for sharing our biscuits too! They would make a great combo!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Colleen. I would definitely cut down on the sugar next batch and add some heat with jalapenos or another hot pepper.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.