Monday, August 28, 2023

Carrot, Mango and Zucchini Muffins and a Book Series Review #MuffinMonday

These muffins are reminiscent of carrot cake or hummingbird cake without the frosting.  Carrots, Zucchini, and Dried Mango combined with Whole Wheat Flour and Flax Seed make these muffins perfect for a nutritious breakfast or snack.

Carrot Mango and Zucchini Muffins

It's time for Muffin Monday.......
Muffin Monday

#MuffinMonday is a group of muffin loving bakers who get together once a month to bake muffins. You can see all our of lovely muffins by following our Pinterest board. Updated links for all of our past events and more information about Muffin Monday, can be found on our home page.

Here are links to all the muffins being shared today........
As you can see from the other recipes, I am not the only one still trying to use up all the zucchini that I have been gifted by my family and friends.  Yesterday I shared a Banana Zucchini Cake with you that turned out AHHHmazing!  This may be the last zucchini recipe I share for this season as I am leaving soon for a trip to Egypt and won't be returning until the 10th of October.  We should be moving on to hard squash by then.

Nameless Series


When I was making these muffins I had just finished the 5th book in the Nameless series by Dean Koontz. Nameless is an agent of Ace of Diamonds whose mission is to right some of the wrongs in the world. These books are labeled Episodes.  Each one can stand alone but also follows the main character as he carries out his missions and only takes about an hour to read or listen to.  They remind me of a television series.  I'm sure this was the author's intent, hence the Season and Episode designations.

The Mercy of Snakes is the fifth in the series labeled Season 1 and the one from which I was inspired to share my review in this Muffin Monday post.  In this episode,  Nameless is meeting with a gentleman who has come across proof that a well-known and highly respected doctor has been killing off clients of a retirement community for a cut of the heirs' inheritance.  The gentleman offers Nameless muffins with his coffee. 

Carrot Mango Zucchini Muffins

I enjoyed this series, and have also finished Season 2. Each audible book takes about an hour so is perfect timing to listen to during my daily walks.  I am sorry that the series has ended but happy that I found them and had 10 enjoyable walks with Nameless as he worked to bring truth and justice to the world.

I will be sharing this post over at Foodies Read where I gather with other foodies and we talk about what books we are enjoying right now.  Stop by and share the foodie books that you are enjoying. 


Breads, Muffins, Zucchini, Carrots, Mango
Breads, Muffins
American
Yield: 12 Muffins
Author: Wendy Klik
Carrot Mango and Zucchini Muffins

Carrot Mango and Zucchini Muffins

These muffins are reminiscent of carrot cake or hummingbird cake without the frosting. Carrots, Zucchini, and Dried Mango combined with Whole Wheat Flour and Flax Seed make these muffins perfect for a nutritious breakfast or snack.
Prep time: 10 MinCook time: 25 MinTotal time: 35 Min

Ingredients

  • 1 c. sugar
  • 1/4 c. canola oil
  • large pinch of salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 c. grated zucchini
  • 2 c. grated carrots
  • 1/2 c. dried mango cut into small dice
  • 1 1/2 c. White Whole Wheat Flour
  • 1/2 c. Flax Meal
  • 2 t. baking powder
  • 2 t. cinnamon

Instructions

  1. Whisk together the sugar, oil, salt, and egg. Stir in the zucchini, carrot and mango.
  2. Whisk together the flour, flax, baking powder and cinnamon. Make a well in the center of these dry ingredients.
  3. Pour the wet ingredients into the well and mix just until combined.
  4. Divide between 12 muffin cups that have been treated with baking spray.
  5. Bake in a preheated 375* oven for 20-25 minutes, until a skewer inserted in the center of a muffin removes cleanly.
  6. Remove to a wire rack and allow to cool for 10 minutes in the pan before turning them onto the rack to cool completely.

Notes

Adapted from a recipe found at King Arthur.

Nutrition Facts

Calories

246.25

Fat (grams)

8.61 g

Sat. Fat (grams)

0.84 g

Carbs (grams)

39.58 g

Fiber (grams)

4.88 g

Net carbs

34.72 g

Sugar (grams)

23.49 g

Protein (grams)

5.13 g

Sodium (milligrams)

113.49 mg

Cholesterol (grams)

27.28 mg

12 comments:

  1. I'll bet the little pieces of dried mango add a lovely sweet chewiness to these muffins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and they are a surprise because the color blends right in

      Delete
  2. These look delicious. And I love how they use up lots of extras.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you have a wonderful time in Egypt and what a great idea to walk and listen to a book...I might need to try that. P.S. These muffins looks super-yummy! And yeah for zucchini season being almost over with!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I thought I was zucchinied out and then my neighbor brought over two more.....sigh.......

      Delete
  4. So much nutrition in these muffins! Have a wonderful time in Egypt! I'm so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love Koontz, need to check that series out! And I'm pinning these for when my carrots are finally ready, they sound amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so good and I enjoyed this series Jolene. Let me know what you think.

      Delete
  6. O my! I didn't even realise my muffin was one in a million zucchini muffins. Farewell, zucchini season! I LOVE Dean Koontz. It's been years since I read one of his books so I will definitely be checking this out. I need to break up my podcasts with audiobooks.
    Hope you have an amazing time in Egypt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly. These books are short enough to compete easily with podcasts.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.