This easy make-ahead casserole is perfect for those days you want to head out for a hike or the beach. When you get home all you need to do is slide it into the oven, pour yourself a glass of wine, and relax while dinner bakes.
Beef Stuffed Shells
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, brown the ground beef with the onion. Drain and set aside.
- Combine the ricotta cheese, half of the shredded cheese, the pesto, the egg and half of the beef mixture.
- Cover the bottom of a 9x13" baking pan with a little of the Marinara sauce. Mix the rest of the Marinara sauce with the remaining beef mixture and set aside.
- Fill the shells with the cheese and beef mixture and arrange in the baking pan. Pour the sauce and beef mixture over the top and sprinkle the remaining shredded cheese over all.
- At this point the casserole can be frozen, refrigerated or baked immediately. If freezing, defrost completely in the refrigerator. If baking from refrigeration, allow the casserole to come to room temperature or add an addition 10 or 15 minutes to baking time.
- Bake in a preheated oven for about half an hour, until hot and bubbly and cheese is melted.
Adapted from a recipe found in Taste of Home
Fat (grams)19.67 g
Sat. Fat (grams)5.51 g
Carbs (grams)9.05 g
Fiber (grams)1.9 g
Net carbs7.16 g
Sugar (grams)4.91 g
Protein (grams)17.36 g
Sodium (milligrams)652.4 mg
Cholesterol (grams)59.56 mg