I normally enjoy my PBJ sandwiches with a large glass of cold milk. It had never occurred to me to have wine with my comforting, casual lunch. But then Robin of Crushed Grape Chronicles invited the members of the Wine Pairing Weekend group to experiment with unusual white wine pairings.
I was making my lunch one day and remembered this challenge. "Why not?" I thought. I often use peanut butter in savory recipes with which I pair wine and wines are often enjoyed with desserts so I didn't see why wine couldn't pair with a PBJ sandwich.
I knew that I wanted a wine that had a little sweetness in it. I went into my wine fridge and found a bottle of Gewurztraminer from Cooper's Hawk Winery. I have a membership with Cooper's Hawk and often enjoy this wine with Asian Food so had bought a bottle to bring home.
Unfamiliar with Cooper's Hawk? You can learn more about the concept and winery in the post where I paired their Super Tuscan with a Chicken Parmesan Casserole.
You can learn more about Cooper's Hawk Gewurztraminer by visiting this page on their website. I found it interesting that while Gewurztraminer sounds German it was actually first made by a German-speaking community using grapes from Alto Alidge in Italy.
The grapes for this bottle by Cooper's Hawk were grown in San Bernabe, California. The wine is spicy-sweet and paired pretty well with the Peanut Butter and Blueberry Jam sandwich I was enjoying. Will I drink wine regularly with my PBJ? Probably not, but it was a fun experiment.
Stop by and take a look at what foods the others are pairing with their white wines this month.
- Wendy of A Day in the Life on the Farm shares "PBJ and Gewurtz? Say What?!!
- Cam of Culinary Cam shares “Pecorino Times Three: Two Cheeses and a Wine with a Lamb Burger”
- Andrea of The Quirky Cork shares “Assyrtiko, Keftedes, and Salt”
- David of Cooking Chat shares “Grilled Filet Mignon with Mushrooms and White Wine”
- Jane of Always Ravenous shares, “Lamb Curry paired with Viognier”
- Gwendolyn Alley of Wine Predator shares “Yes, Sparkling Whites from Mendo’s Scharffenberger and Marche’s Mai Sentito Pair with Pizza!
- Robin of Crushed Grape Chronicles shares, "Sauvignon Blanc with Lamb and Cocoa?"
- Susannah of Avvinare shares "Pinot Grigio from Valdige and Shrimp with Green Sauce"