Wednesday, August 9, 2023

Joan's Quesadillas #CooktheBooks

 Love and Saffron is our latest selection in our Cook the Books Club where members are given 2 months to read the chosen book and post a recipe inspired by such book on their blog or on Instagram should they not be a blogger.  You can learn more and how to join in the Guidelines post.

Love and Saffron

This August/September selection is being hosted by Deb of Kahakai Kitchen who will post a roundup of our reviews and recipes at the end of September.  

Let me start off this review by saying I LOVED this quick, easy read.  It is perfect for the dog days of summer.  It is written, for the most part, in a series of letters that span through the years.  These letters foster a close friendship between Joan and Imogen even though there is a 30-year difference in their ages.  Joan lives in LA and Imogen lives on an Island off of Seattle, Washington.  It appears
as though they would have little in common, but they find a connection through food and sharing their hopes, dreams, and thoughts about current events.

Joan's Quesadillas

As a bonus, the women share recipes with each other, and thus the author shares recipes with the readers.  One of these recipes was Quesadillas provided by Joan to Imogen.  I love Quesadillas and have shared plenty of them with you, including Grilled Bean and Cheese, Black Bean and Pumpkin, Pork Carnitas, Chicken, and Reuben Quesadillas.

Quesadillas cooking

The recipe in this novel was different from others that I have made and shared.  They are made with corn tortillas instead of flour and contained green chiles and onion along with the cheese. Finally, they are finished off with a sprinkling of Cotija cheese before serving.

But, just like the characters in the book, there are many similarities.  These quesadillas, like the others, are easy to make, budget-friendly, quick, and delicious.  I would recommend both the recipe and the novel.  

I am also linking up over at Foodies Read.  If you love food and reading, stop by and be inspired.  



Entrees, Meatless, Snacks, Cheese,
Entrees, Snacks
Mexican Fusion
Yield: 3 servings
Author: Wendy Klik
Joan's Quesadillas

Joan's Quesadillas

This recipe was adapted from one found in the novel Love & Saffron. It uses corn tortillas instead of the traditional flour tortillas normally found in Quesadilla recipes.
Prep time: 3 MinCook time: 7 MinTotal time: 10 Min

Ingredients

  • 6 (6") corn tortillas
  • 1 c. shredded Monterrey Jack Cheese
  • 1 (4 oz) can diced green chiles
  • 3 thin slices of onion, separated
  • Grated Cotija Cheese for sprinkling

Instructions

  1. Heat a griddle or skillet to med-high heat. Lay 3 of the tortillas on the griddle and cover with the cheese and onion. Sprinkle with the chiles and cook until the tortilla starts to brown and the cheese starts to melt.
  2. Top with another tortilla and flip, cooking until tortilla is browned and cheese is completely melted.
  3. Transfer to plates and sprinkle with Cotija Cheese.

Notes

Adapted from a recipe found in Love and Saffron

Nutrition Facts

Calories

293.87

Fat (grams)

15.15 g

Sat. Fat (grams)

8.78 g

Carbs (grams)

26.88 g

Fiber (grams)

4.16 g

Net carbs

22.73 g

Sugar (grams)

1.24 g

Protein (grams)

14.03 g

Sodium (milligrams)

513.5 mg

Cholesterol (grams)

42.42 mg

12 comments:

  1. These look good. I love flour tortillas, but they're harder for me to fit into my food plan that corn ones. I'm not sure I've ever had a quesadilla made with corn tortillas.
    I'm hopping over from Foodies Read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Joy. For sure the corn tortillas offer more nutritional value than the flour. I prefer the texture and flavor as well but had never thought to use them for quesadillas.

      Delete
  2. These are on my menu for tonight. I knew the cortija cheese was purchased for a recipe, but totally forgot where I'd read it! Thanks, it sounds good. I just got the book and am going to start on it in a day or so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will enjoy the book Claudia and I hope you enjoy the quesadillas too.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for joining in Wendy! I am glad you enjoyed the book. Now you have me craving quesadillas as these look and sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look delicious and simple. I can't wait to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just adore Mexican dishes like quesadillos and this looks truly yum

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quesadillas look so inviting. I like the idea of using corn tortillas :)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.