Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Grilled Steakhouse Salad for #HotSummerEats

You guys....this salad was originally just on my regular weekly menu and I had no intentions of including it in this event....until I tasted it.  It is AHMAZIIING! So I had to save it to share during this week when we are celebrating all things summer.  This is the perfect summer dish.  All ingredients are thrown onto the grill and then plated up in a beautiful presentation.  The entire dish from start to finish is done in less than an hour so even if it is a weeknight you can invite over a couple of friends, open a nice bottle of red wine, visit and relax while the food is cooking up and then sit back and listen to the sighs of contentment when they dig in.  THAT is what summer is all about!


We have Cam of Culinary Adventures with Camilla, to thank for this party.  She gathered almost 20 of us together, found some great sponsors and made it so simple to join that I could not say no. What should I make?  Anything I wanted.  Anything that screamed summertime to me. I was one of the first to sign up.  I was that excited. 

As time went by, Cam started telling us about the sponsors she had found and what great prizes they were going to give away to our readers.  You guys....you are really in for some great gifts...just go on over to my Welcome and Thank You Post to sign up for these great giveaways!

But back to my salad.  I found this recipe in my most recent edition of Cuisine at Home, and I couldn't wait to try it.  I put it on menu right away and it was one of the main reasons I decided to have a Week of Salads.  As I said earlier, I thought I would be sharing the recipe during that week but once I tried it I knew I wanted to reach a larger audience and what better way than to post it during Hot Summer Eats.

As usual, I adapted the recipe to fit our tastes and to accommodate what I had in the house.  One of the things I had in the house was a lovely bottle of Roasted Tomato Dressing from one of our sponsors, Out of the Weeds.  This was perfect because Cuisine at Home had included a recipe for tomato vinaigrette with which to top the salad and this saved me a step.  Perfect for a busy weeknight meal.


Tingting had joined us for dinner.  "This sauce is amazing" she said, "What did you put in it?"  I told her it was a sponsor gift that I recieved for my blog.  "You should order a case of it" was her reply.  I am sure the recipe included in Cuisine at Home was delicious but why would I bother when this dressing got that kind of a review??


Toss the steak, onions, potatoes and beans in the marinade.  While these are grilling, place the lettuce and tomato on plates and drizzle with the Tomato Vinaigrette.


When the steak and vegetables are done grilling, plate them on top of the dressed lettuce and top with a soft boiled egg.  As you can see I overcooked my egg a bit.  Ideally it would be a little runny but it was still delicious.

Steakhouse Salad
adapted from Cuisine at Home, Issue #111

4 eggs, soft boiled
1/4 c. champagne vinegar
1/4 c. olive oil
3 t. prepared horseradish
1 lb. Sirloin Steak, trimmed and cut into 1" cubes
4 small red skin potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1/2" wedges
8 oz each green and wax beans, trimmed
1 small vidalia onion, cut into eighths.
1 head Boston lettuce
2 tomatoes, each cut into 6 wedges
1 bottle roasted tomato vinaigrette (I used Out of the Weeds)

Whisk together the vinegar, olive oil and horseradish in a large bowl.  Add steak, potatoes, onions and beans to the bowl and toss to coat.  Remove steak and onions and place on  4 skewers alternating between the meat and onions.  Remove the potatoes from the marinade and place on a platter with the steak skewers to take to grill.  Empty marinated beans from bowl into a grill pan.

Place the potato wedges on the grill and cook for about 5 minutes, flip and cook another 5 minutes. Add steak skewers to the grill and flip the potatoes again.  Let the steak and potatoes grill for 5 minutes before flipping both and cooking another 5 minutes.  Add the beans during the last 5 minutes of grilling, tossing occasionally. 

Meanwhile, line 4 plates with the lettuce leaves.  Add 3 wedges of tomato to each plate and drizzle 1-2 T, of  vinaigrette over each.  When the remaining ingredients are done, top each plate with 1 skewer, 1/4 of the potatoes, 1/4 of the beans.  Top each plate with a soft boiled egg that has been halved while on the salad.  Serve with additional vinaigrette.  Print Recipe



16 comments:

  1. Yummy! It's almost midnight and I am wanting to fire up the grill!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh - LOVE the combination of ingredients, it looks divine!! I know what I'm opening my tomato vinaigrette up for. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so pleased with all of the products this time Rebekah...we really hit the jackpot!

      Delete
  3. I love kabobs on top of salad! And also love the potato wedges you added. Great salad to use with that dressing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay. That looks fabulous! I have more vinaigrette. I'm trying this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I kind of want this for dinner every night! So perfect with all the flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks divine,Wendy! I love the Roasted Tomato Vinaigrette too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful salad- I loved that dressing as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can see why you had to post it, it looks so flavorful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'm always happy to find a way to sneak veggies into the guys.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.