Tuesday, April 25, 2023

Spring Berry Gelato #LitHappens

Creamy, delicious gelato made with blueberries, blackberries and strawberries is the perfect spring treat as the weather starts to warm.

Spring Berry Gelato

I was inspired to make this Gelato while reading Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert.

Eat Pray Love

This memoir was chosen as our #LitHappens selection this month by Amy of Amy's Cooking Adventures.  Amy chose this book because another group to which we belong, Movies and Munchies, had showcased the film this month and Amy likes to read the book before she watches the film.  I do as well.  I had already read this book many moons ago but ordered it up from the library to read again.

When I watched the film I was inspired to make Crespelle, inspired by the time Gilbert spent in Italy learning to feed her body.  Italy is also where I got the inspiration for the Gelato when Gilbert wrote at one point that she decided to indulge in Gelato every day she spent in Italy and sometimes twice a day.

Let me say that I didn't care for this book the first time I read it.  This time, I didn't hate it quite as much as the first, however it is not a book I would recommend.  Gilbert, to her credit, was very open and honest about her values, morals and personality.  These are things I could appreciate about the book....they were also the things that made me dislike the book.

Cake and Gelato

Of course, starting off in Italy, there was tons and tons of food inspiration and I was not at all disappointed in the gelato that I made to serve with our daughter Jessica's birthday cake.

I will be sharing this post over at Foodies Read.  Stop by and see what the others are reading and eating this month.......




Dessert, Ice Cream, Spring, Berries, Gelato
Dessert
Italian
Yield: 12 servings
Author: Wendy Klik
Spring Berry Gelato

Spring Berry Gelato

Creamy, delicious gelato made with blueberries, blackberries and strawberries is the perfect spring treat as the weather starts to warm.
Prep time: 10 MinCook time: 20 MinTotal time: 30 Min

Ingredients

  • 1 c. heavy cream
  • 2 c. whole milk, divided
  • 1 c. sugar
  • 2 T. cornstarch
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 c. mixed berries of choice, I used blueberries, blackberries and strawberries
  • 1/2 t. vanilla
  • 1 T. berry jam, I used blueberry

Instructions

  1. Combine the cream and 1 1/2 cups of the milk in a medium saucepan over medium low heat. Cook stirring occasionally until mixture comes to a simmer.
  2. Whisk together the remaining milk, sugar, cornstarch and salt. Set aside.
  3. Puree the berries until smooth. Set aside.
  4. When cream and milk reach a simmer, stir in the cold milk mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture boils and thickens to the point that it coats the back of a wooden spoon, about 10-15 minutes.
  5. Remove from heat and stir in the berries, vanilla and jam. Allow to cool to room temperature and then cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to overnight.
  6. When mixture is cold, stir again and place into your ice cream maker. Churn and freeze according to manufacturer's directions.
  7. Serve immediately or place into a covered glass container and freeze until ready to serve.

Notes

Adapted from a recipe found at Cuisinart.

Nutrition Facts

Calories

168.87

Fat (grams)

8.59 g

Sat. Fat (grams)

5.33 g

Carbs (grams)

22.06 g

Fiber (grams)

0.39 g

Net carbs

21.67 g

Sugar (grams)

20.4 g

Protein (grams)

1.95 g

Sodium (milligrams)

24.49 mg

Cholesterol (grams)

27.29 mg

2 comments:

  1. Are you using this for Movies & Munchies, too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I'm sorry. I thought I had shared my Crespelle with you in an email. I will do so right now.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.