Saturday, February 26, 2022

Mushroom Lo Mein #PotluckParty

This vegetarian lo mein gets it's meaty satisfaction from the plethora of mushrooms.  It is a wonderful fusion of Asian meets Italian and a perfect Meatless Monday dish.  I served it up as one of my vegetarian offerings when we celebrated earlier this month.

Mushroom Lo Mein

It's time for a Potluck Party........
Sue of Palatable Pastime invites any that want to join her in sharing recipes on the 4th Saturday of the month.  There are no themes, no set recipes....hence the name Potluck.  I love this idea.  I am so involved in so many groups and events that quite often recipes that I make end up in the archives.  This group gives me an opportunity to pull those out and share them with you.

Let's see what everyone brought to the party today.......

Mushrooms

I LOVE mushrooms and many of my Meatless Meals are filled with them.  They give that meaty texture and feel that I love.  I am a carnivore at heart and an omnivore in reality.  For this lo mein I bought as many different types of mushrooms as were available.

The recipe is adapted from one found in Myers+Chang, At Home.  You can read my review of this cookbook here.  The recipe calls for the cookbook's fun sauce recipe...I substituted Hoisin Sauce.  I did not add the radicchio and frisee at the end.  They were all prepped and ready to be added but as I was getting dinner out onto the table that part of the recipe got overlooked.

Mushroom Lo Mein pin

This easy peasy recipe is ready in about 20 minutes.  It is a great meal to cook up when you realize that you have forgotten to take anything out of  the freezer for dinner and the hangries are starting to sneak in.


Entrees, Pasta, Mushrooms, Meatless, Quick, Easy
Entrees, Pasta
Asian
Yield: 6 main course servings
Author: A Day in the Life on the Farm
Mushroom Lo Mein

Mushroom Lo Mein

This vegetarian lo mein gets it's meaty satisfaction from the plethora of mushrooms. It is a wonderful fusion of Asian meets Italian and a perfect Meatless Monday dish. .
Prep time: 5 MinCook time: 15 MinTotal time: 20 Min

Ingredients

  • 1 lb. mixed mushrooms of choice
  • Handful fresh mint leaves, roughly chopped
  • 1/4 c. olive oil
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1 lb. dried whole wheat lo mein noodles
  • 2 T. canola oil
  • 2 small leeks, white and light green parts, well cleaned and thinly sliced
  • 1 (8 oz) can diced water chestnuts, drained
  • 3/4 c. hoisin sauce
  • 2 T. butter, room temperature
  • 1 t. miso paste

Instructions

  1. Trim and cut mushrooms to uniform size. Place in bowl with the mint. Add the olive oil, season with salt and pepper and toss to coat and mix.
  2. Heat a wok over high heat. Add the mushroom mixture and cook, stirring frequently for about 5 minutes. Remove mushroom mixture to a plate and set aside.
  3. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the noodles and cook for about 6 minutes or per package directions. Drain into a colander and rinse with cold water to stop cooking.
  4. Combine the butter and miso into a paste in a small bowl. Set aside.
  5. Heat the canola oil in the same wok over high heat. Add the leeks and cook for a minute until softened. Add the water chestnuts and the mushrooms. Stir to combine, add the hoisin sauce and stir until coated an warmed.
  6. Add the butter/miso to the noodles along with a couple of Tablespoons of water. Add the noodles to the wok and toss until combined and coated. Plate and serve immediately.

Notes

Adapted from a recipe found in Myers+Chang, At Home.

Nutrition Facts

Calories

561.49

Fat (grams)

21.16

Sat. Fat (grams)

4.63

Carbs (grams)

83.27

Fiber (grams)

13.82

Net carbs

69.45

Sugar (grams)

13.32

Protein (grams)

16.53

Sodium (milligrams)

742.42

Cholesterol (grams)

11.14

6 comments:

  1. I have that book! I can't wait to make more dishes from it. Your lo mein sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lo mein sounds amazing and our family loves this. With lots of mushrooms, this is my daughter's favorite!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.