I received a copy of Sobromesa: A memoir of food and love in thirteen courses by Josephine Camino Oria and 2 bottles of Norton wine for the purpose of review. I received no monetary compensation for this post. All writings and opinions are 100% my own.
Sobremesa (noun): Time spent being present at the table, lingering over a meal in conversation well after the food is gone.
Noqui de Ricota with Browned Butter Sage Sauce
- 10 oz. ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/3 c. grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 c. flour
- 2 1/2 T. butter
- 7-10 sage leaves
- In a large bowl mix together the eggs, parmesan, ricotta, salt and pepper. Add the flour 1/3 c. at a time until a sticky dough ball is formed. You may not need the entire last third cup.
- Turn the dough ball onto a lightly floured surface and form into a rectangle. Cut the rectangle in half and then cut each half into quarters.
- Roll each quarter into a log and then cut each log into bite size pillow. Place onto parchment or a silicone mat. **At this point any gnocchi not being used for dinner can be placed in the freezer and then transferred into a bag, once frozen, for later use.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a rolling boil. Add the gnocchi to the pot and let cook for a minute or two until they rise to the top. Allow to cook another 30 seconds before removing with a slotted spoon and adding to the pan containing the Browned Butter Sage Sauce.
- While the water is coming to a boil, melt the butter in a skillet over med high heat. Cook and swirl the pan until the butter is nutty smelling and browned. Add the sage leaves and cook until they are crisped. Remove from heat. Remove the sage and set some aside for garnish, discarding the rest. Cover the skillet and set aside until gnocchi are ready to be added.
- Once gnocchi are added and coated with the brown butter, divide between serving dishes and garnish each with a sage leave. Pass additional parmesan cheese for sprinkling.
Adapted from a recipe found in the memoir, Sobremesa, by Josephine Caminos Oria.
Sat. Fat (grams)17.98