A quick and delicious meal that is perfect for eating al fresco as you enjoy the summer weather. Tender chicken that has been marinated in lemon and spices before a quick cook on the grill. Served with pita, fresh cucumbers, tomatoes and onions on top of a bright, tangy, cucumber sauce.
Appetizers and Drinks
- Bacon Ranch Pasta Salad by Daily Dish Recipes
- Cheddar Bacon Ranch Corn by Making Miracles
- Cowboy Beans by Devour Dinner
- Creamy Coleslaw Recipe by SueBee Homemaker
- Grilled French Fries by Palatable Pastime
- Memphis-Style Coleslaw by House of Nash Eats
- Slow Cooker Baked Beans by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Slow Cooker BBQ Green Beans with Bacon by Blogghetti
- Sweet and Spicy BBQ Chicken Macaroni Salad by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Bacon and Cheddar Smash Burgers by Family Around the Table
- Easy Smoked Ribs by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Greek Chicken Pita Sandwich by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- The Best Grilled BBQ Chicken Breasts by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Grilled Banana Bread with Vanilla Ice Cream and Homemade Caramel Sauce by Our Good Life
- Magic Chocolate Walnut Fudge by The Spiffy Cookie
- Old Fashioned Whoopie Pies by Jolene's Recipe Journal
Greek Chicken Pita Sandwich
- zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
- olive oil
- 1 t. dried oregano
- 3 cloves garlic
- pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, sliced into tender size pieces
- 1 English cucumber
- pinch of salt
- 3/4 c. plain Greek yogurt
- 2 t. chopped fresh mint leaves
- 2 t. chopped fresh dill
- pepper, to taste
- Sliced red onion, if desired
- 12 grape tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 4 pita breads, warmed
- Combine the lemon juice, zest, 3 teaspoons of olive oil, oregano, 2 cloves of garlic, minced, and the crushed red pepper in a large plastic bag that seals.
- Add the chicken, release the air, seal and massage so the chicken is coated in the marinade. Refrigerate for at least one hour and up to 4 hrs.
- Meanwhile, grate half of the cucumber and place it in a colander. Toss with a pinch of salt and let drain for 15 minutes. Squeeze to release any remaining liquid from the cucumber and place it into a bowl. Stir in the yogurt, mint, dill, and pepper. Mince the remaining garlic clove and add along with 2 teaspoons of olive oil and a pinch of salt. Mix to combine and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Thinly slice the other half of the cucumber and prep any other vegetable toppings you will be serving with the sandwiches. Place on a platter and set aside.
- Preheat your grill to med high heat. Remove chicken from marinade and grill for about 3 minutes per side, until an internal temperature of 165* is reached.
- Place on a platter and serve with warmed pitas, the yogurt sauce and the prepared vegetables allowing people to build their own sandwiches as they like.
Adapted from a recipe found in Eating Well Magazine.
Sat. Fat (grams)2.07