Monday, March 30, 2020

Waffle Muffins #MuffinMonday

These hearty, delicious muffins are like a waffle to go....

Waffle Muffins

It's time for Muffin Monday...............


How are you all holding up as we start Week 3 of this terrible pandemic?  My family and friends are doing well.  The pandemic hasn't touch us physically, we are all still healthy for which I am thankful.

Several family members have been furloughed from work during this time.  Some are working at home.  Some are still going into work each day.  Some have taken a temporary pay cut.

My life hasn't really changed drastically, except that I am not as busy as I like to be.  The days are long but I keep them filled spending time in the kitchen and then blogging the results, binge watching tv shows, and getting the Teen's driving hours in. And napping.  I find myself taking a nap every day.  I think I'm turning into my mother!

I'm not the only one who is finding comfort in the kitchen.  Look at what my friends are serving up for Muffin Monday this month........


Muffin Monday




 #MuffinMonday is a group of muffin loving bakers who get together once a month to bake muffins. You can see all of our lovely muffins by following our Pinterest board. Updated links for all of our past events and more information about Muffin Monday can be found on our home page.



Waffle Muffins

These muffins require an extra step but they are well worth it.  Once you combine your wet and dry ingredients, you need to whip up the egg whites and fold them in.

Waffle Muffins

I was a little disappointed when I took these out of the oven and saw how they rose like a mountain surrounded by water.  Then I realized that this was going to assist in keeping the syrup on the muffins.  Once you brush the muffins with the syrup mixture you put them back into the oven to "set" the glaze.

Waffle Muffins pin

These wonderful muffins are perfect just on their own with a cup of coffee in the morning but they would also be a great addition to a breakfast buffet or Easter brunch.



#muffins, #waffles,
Breads, Muffins, Breakfast
American
Yield: 12 servings
Author:

Waffle Muffins

Waffle Muffins

These hearty, delicious muffins are like a waffle to go....
Prep time: 12 MCook time: 18 MTotal time: 30 M

Ingredients:

  • 1 3/4 c. flour
  • 1/4 c. malt powder
  • 1/4 c. cornmeal
  • 1 1/2 t. baking powder
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 stick butter, melted
  • 1 c. buttermilk
  • 1/2 c. sugar
  • 2 eggs, separated
  • 2 t. vanilla
  • 2 T. maple syrup
  • 2 t. turbinado sugar

Instructions:

How to cook Waffle Muffins

  1. Whisk together the flour, malt powder, cornmeal, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.  Set aside
  2. In a smaller bowl  whisk together the butter and buttermilk to cool the butter.  Add the sugar, egg yolk and vanilla, whisking to blend.
  3. In small bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with the whisk attachment, whip the egg whites until medium peaks occur.
  4. Combine the buttermilk mixture to the dry ingredients, mixing just until blended.  Fold the whipped eggs into the batter, leaving thin white streaks visible.
  5. Divide between a 12 cup muffin tin that has been treated with baking spray.
  6. Bake in a preheated 400* oven for 15 minutes, until a skewer inserted  removes cleanly.
  7. While muffins are baking, combine the syrup with the turbinado sugar.
  8. Brush the hot muffins with the syrup mixture and place back in the oven for a few minutes to allow it to set.

Notes:

Adapted from a recipe found in Cuisine at Home, Issue #80
Calories
231.71
Fat (grams)
8.88
Sat. Fat (grams)
5.25
Carbs (grams)
33.48
Fiber (grams)
0.68
Net carbs
32.80
Sugar (grams)
17.26
Protein (grams)
4.33
Sodium (milligrams)
187.38
Cholesterol (grams)
52.06
Created using The Recipes Generator





7 comments:

  1. Using syrup with extra sugar as a glaze is a delightful way to add flavor, sweetness and moisture. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of a syrup glaze! Whipping the egg whites sounds like a cool technique too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these breakfasty-muffins!! Love that your version has a baked on glaze - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea of waffles in muffin form perfect breakfast dish. Bite form of classic treat.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.