Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Shaved Celery Salad with Sauteed Scallops #FoodieExtravaganza

Crunchy, crisp celery mixed with crunchy almonds and sweet raisins is a wonderful contrast to the sweet, creamy, meaty scallops topping this salad.


The Foodie Extravaganza gang are celebrating National Celery Month......



I am hosting the party this month and I asked the others to join me in celebrating this often overlooked vegetable that really deserves to have a starring role instead of just being delegated to flavoring soups and stews.


Foodie Extravaganza is a fun group where we all get together once a month to celebrate obscure Food Holidays.  It is a lot of fun.  Let's see what we made to celebrated National Celery Month.


I'm so excited to try some of these amazing recipes and to share my recipe with you.  I have been saving this recipe since the Christmas Holidays.  I served this salad to my brother, Dick, and his wife, Jackie, as the first course of a holiday dinner.


This salad of shaved celery, golden raisins and slivered almonds dressed in lemony vinaigrette would be amazing all on it's own.  But don't stop there.


Sear up some tender, creamy and meaty scallops to place on top of this crisp salad and you will be swooning.  This is a wonderful first course for a dinner party and would also be a perfect light lunch.




#celery, #salad, #scallops, #seafood, #firstcourses,
Salad, Starters, Seafood,
American
Yield: 4 servings
Author:

Shaved Celery Salad with Seared Scallops

Shaved Celery Salad with Seared Scallops

prep time: 10 Mcook time: 8 Mtotal time: 18 M
Crunchy, crisp celery mixed with crunchy almonds and sweet raisins is a wonderful contrast to the sweet, creamy, meaty scallops topping this salad.

ingredients:

  • 1 1/2 lbs. celery with leafy tops
  • 12  sea scallops
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 3 T. olive oil, divided
  • Juice of 2 lemons
  • 2 t. Dijon mustard
  • 1 t. sugar
  • 1/2 c. golden raisins
  • 1/4 c. sliced almonds

instructions:

How to cook Shaved Celery Salad with Seared Scallops

  1. Remove leaves from celery stalks and set aside.  Thinly slice the stalks.  I used a mandoline.  Set aside.
  2. Heat 1 T. of the oil in a large skillet over med high heat.  Pat dry the scallops and season with salt and pepper.  Add half of the scallops to the pan and cook for 1-2 minutes per side until nicely seared.  Remove to a plate and repeat this procedure with the remaining scallops.
  3. Whisk together the last Tablespoon of oil, lemon juice, mustard and sugar until emulsified in a  large bowl.  Add the shaved celery, celery leaves, raisins and almonds.  Toss to coat.  Divide between 4 plates and top each salad with three scallops.

NOTES:

Adapted from a recipe found at Cooking Light
Calories
311.53
Fat (grams)
14.45
Sat. Fat (grams)
1.86
Carbs (grams)
38.76
Fiber (grams)
5.71
Net carbs
33.05
Sugar (grams)
25.09
Protein (grams)
12.17
Sodium (milligrams)
595.90
Cholesterol (grams)
15.99
Created using The Recipes Generator



11 comments:

  1. Thanks for hosting this. I love seeing celery at the center of the plate. And while I enjoy scallops, it's not a favorite in my house. Maybe I'll just make it for myself. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mouth is watering - that sounds amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got the most fantastic color on your scallops! What a delicious sounding first course.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scallops are a favorite here. What a gourmet way to serve them! Looks delish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Scallops and celery what a delightful combo Wendy, lip smacking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those scallops are gorgeous! I'm already swooning just at the sight of them. Bet the contrast of the crunchy salad matches beautifully with the sweet scallops!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.