Monday, March 9, 2020

Sourdough Mango Scones #BakingBloggers

These quick, simple, flaky scones start with your sourdough discard.  I chose to dice up some dried mango to fold into the dough.  The results were amazing!!


The Baking Bloggers are sharing Scone recipes this month........



The Baking Bloggers, headed by Sue of Palatable Pastime, gather together each month to bake up a recipe based on a theme chosen by popular vote of the group.  This month Scones beat out St. Pat's Day by a nose.  Let's see what scones were baked up......


Baking Bloggers

March 2020: Scones

I had voted for St. Pat's Day but Scones are traditionally Irish so I guess both groups got their wish.  In fact, I see a few Irish themed scones above for us to check out.  

I did not go traditionally Irish with my scones.  Traditional Irish scones are normally drop style as I shared in these Currant Drop Scones.  I have also shared rolled and cut scones made with Oats. Oats were the grain used traditionally in Irish Scones.


However when most of us think of scones we think of triangular shaped biscuits that start out in a round as these do.

I had never made scones until 2014 when I was in the Secret Recipe Club group and made these Cheese and Spring Onion Scones that I got from Karen over at Lavender and Lovage.  Since then, realizing how easy and delicious they are I have made them using different techniques and flavorings numerous times.


Most scones use baking powder as the rising agent, much like American biscuits.  I have made mine today starting with Sourdough discard instead.  I knew they would turn out well because I have made Almond and Cherry Scones using this same recipe.


And that is one of the great things about Scones.  You can include and add-ins that you like and have a different delicious recipe, sweet or savory, each time you make them.  


I hope you enjoy these scones and get an opportunity to try some of the other recipes being shared today.  I am looking forward to baking and trying some of those delicious sounding scones.



#scones, #bread, #biscuits, #mangoes, #easy, #quick,
Breads
American
Yield: 8 Servings
Author:

Sourdough Mango Scones

Sourdough Mango Scones

prep time: 5 Mcook time: 15 Mtotal time: 20 M
These quick, simple, flaky scones start with your sourdough discard. I chose to dice up some dried mango to fold into the dough. The results were amazing!!

ingredients:

  • 1 1/2 c. flour
  • 3 T. sugar
  • 1 T. baking powder
  • pinch of salt
  • 5 T. cold butter, cubed
  • 1/2 c. dried mango, diced
  • 1 c. sourdough discard
  • 1/2 c. heavy cream + more for brushing
  • 1 T. Demerara sugar

instructions:

How to cook Sourdough Mango Scones

  1. Place the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into the bowl of a food processor along with the cubed butter.  Pulse until mixture is crumbly with some large pieces of butter still present.   Pour into a large bowl and add  mango, tossing to coat.
  2. In a small bowl, whisk together the discard and cream.  Add to the flour mixture and stir with a fork just until the dough comes together.   Pour out onto a baking sheet lined with parchment or a silicone mat.  Knead a few times to incorporate any loose flour and form a sticky dough.  Pat into an 8" round that is about 1" thick.  
  3. Using a pastry cutter, divide into 8 pieces.  Brush with a little more heavy cream and sprinkle with the sugar. 
  4. Bake in a preheated 425* oven for 15-17 minutes, until golden brown.  Let cool on pan for a few minutes before serving.
Calories
266.43
Fat (grams)
13.04
Sat. Fat (grams)
8.08
Carbs (grams)
34.48
Fiber (grams)
0.96
Net carbs
33.53
Sugar (grams)
12.64
Protein (grams)
3.70
Sodium (milligrams)
306.75
Cholesterol (grams)
35.94
Created using The Recipes Generator

19 comments:

  1. Sourdough discard! That would mean that I need sourdough starter. I still haven't figured that one out. Maybe that'll be my summer project. These look delicious, Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen walked me right through the entire procedure and I still run to her with questions. I think you will like having sourdough starter in your refrigerator.

      Delete
  2. Dang it - now you've got me even more intrigued about sourdough starters!! I love that you incorporated sourdough into these tasty treats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love having the sourdough starter Rebekah. I was so intimidated by it and now I don't know why.

      Delete
  3. What a great introduction to scones using Karen Booth's recipe. She has fantastic recipes. As do you as well, including these scones. I don't recall if I have ever had one made with sourdough but I have to rectify that soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! Never thought of using sourdough 'discard' for a scone, but it looks amazing. And the Mango's not a bad add-in either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another great recipe to use sourdough discard! Your scones puffed up so beautifully! They sound delicious with the mango.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dried mango is one of my daughter's favorite snacks. I bet she would love these scones! They sound incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Give me a slice Wendy! Mango is my weakness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you were here Sneha. I would love to sit and chat over tea and scones.

      Delete
  8. I keep meaning to get a new sourdough up and running and now you've given me something else to make with it! Sound yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great way to use sour dough! THIS RIGHT HERE...is a must try! Although, I think I may try pineapple in mine!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just made this scones but used choped fresh mangoes instead of dried. Texture and taste far from how scones should be. In fact if not a shape I would never say those were scones. Hubby and kids fought for the last piece while scones were still hot. Texture and taste was very similar to biscuits, sweet and fruity. Great recipe for Sourdough discard and any fruit laying around. Will be making again. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that you enjoyed them. Thanks for letting me know.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.