Monday, March 2, 2020

The Road to Coorain; A Book Review

While on vacation I read The Road from Coorain by Jill Ker Conway.  This is a memoir of her life from infancy to adulthood.

Image result for the road to coorain

Jill was born and raised in the Australian Outback where her family raised sheep.  After her father's death, Jill and her mother moved to Sydney, leaving the farm in the hands of hired help.  This was a very interesting portrayal of life in the Outback and in the city in the years following WWII.  

It is also the story of a woman coming to age during this time and the struggles she faced being an academic instead of bowing to the norms and traditions of Australia during this time.  Ms. Conway had a very interesting life, filled with devastating losses and trials.  However, it is not a depressing story by any means.  There is as much success and happiness as there is sadness and frustration.  Much as we all live each day in our own lives.  

I was fascinated by life in the Outback and reminded of life in our own Country during this time period, especially in rural areas that suffered much the same trials and tribulations.  There were lean spare times that required fasting and then times of great abundance and feasting.

As in every story, food played a role.  Whether it was feast or famine, Jill's mother always managed to have dinner on the table due to her foresight and planning during the times of abundance.  As her mother slipped into mental illness, mealtimes became very important to her with very rigid standards of what food would be eaten at very specific times.

My sister in law, Mary, left this book for me last summer when she visited but I just now found the time to read it.  I'm glad that I did.  


This book did inspire me into the kitchen to create, however I am saving that recipe for Spring Sweets Week which is coming up later this month.  

I am linking up with Foodies Read where you can find out what others are reading and cooking this month.  See you there.

8 comments:

  1. Your review is my favorite kind of approach to a book -- what's it about and what role does food play in the author's worldview. People have been telling me to read this for years and years, but I still haven't done so.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed it Mae. Perhaps one day you will find time to open it.

      Delete
  2. I need to read this. Thank you for the introduction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm surprised I haven't heard of this book before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister in law found it at a second hand shop and brought it with her when she visited from CA last year.

      Delete
  4. This sounds like a great read and I've reserved it at our library. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.