The Italian FWT group is celebrating Women Winemakers in Italy this month.......
We have celebrated Women Winemakers with our Wine PW group but this month Pinny of Chinese Food & Wine Pairings invited us to concentrate on the Women in Italian Wine Industry. You can read all about it in her invitation post.
I did some research and discovered Gianni Brunelli, a winery located in Montalcino. This winery was originally owned by Gianni's father, Dino. Gianni bought the property after having great success with his restaurant, Siena Osteria Le Logge.
Gianni replanted most of the vines but preserved some that his father had planted in 1947. Gianni passed away in 2008 and his wife took over running the winery with her brother.
Laura has since expanded buying more property further south in Montalcino allowing her to blend the grapes of north and south. This wine was pricier than what I normally spend for us to enjoy with an everyday dinner. It is worth every penny and I will gladly spend the $40 again to share this wine with friends.
This wine is pure Sangiovese. It pours a very intense ruby color and smells of ripe fruit. It is full bodied and very smooth. It is one of the nicest bottles of Sangiovese I have enjoyed and I have enjoyed a lot of them.
We will be discussing the wines and women winemakers we chose during Twitter Chat tomorrow at 11 AM ET following #ItalianFWT. Please join in the conversation. These are some of the wines we will be discussing:
- Cam at Culinary Adventures with Camilla pairs Crab and Cambozola-Stuffed Arancini + Poggio al Tesoro Solosole Vermentino 2018 #ItalianFWT
- Lynn at Savor the Harvest introduces Women In Italian Wine: Meet Mateja Gravner #ItalianFWT
- Linda at My Full Wine Glass tells Punset wines: the story of one woman’s perseverance #ItalianFWT
- Marcia at Joy of Wine shows Tiberio: Passion For the Land & its Native Grapes #ItalianFWT
- Wendy at A Day in the Life on the Farm pairs Italian Roasted Chicken with a Gianni Brunelli Rosso di Montalcino #ItalianFWT
- David at Cooking Chat pairs Ground Turkey Bolognese with Wine from Anna Maria #ItalianFWT
- Susannah at Avvinare shows Spotlight on Vernaccia di San Gimignano and the Consortium’s New President - Irina Guicciardini Strozzi #ItalianFWT
- Jennifer at Vino Travels presents Italian Women in the Wine Industry Featuring Maso Martis #ItalianFWT
- Jeff at Food Wine Click! presents Italian Women in Wine - Cantina Marilina #ItalianFWT
- Deanna at Asian Test Kitchen says Don’t Judge a Wine by its Label unless it’s Mustilli #ItalianFWT
- Terri at Our Good Life presents Women in Wine: Meet Kelly from Twin Meadows Winery #ItalianFWT
- Gwen at Wine Predator introduces Vigna Petrussa and Verovino: Women to Watch in Wine #ItalianFWT
- Nicole at Somm’s Table shares Passion and Authenticity in Abruzzo: A Conversation with Cristiana Tiberio of Az. Agr. Tiberio #ItalianFWT
- Pinny at Chinese Food and Wine Pairings says Cheers to Donatella Cinelli Colombini Rosso di Montalcino Produced from Women Flagship - Casato Prime Donne #ItalianFWT
I knew that I wanted to serve up a roast chicken with my wine. I had decided that on our flight home from vacation when I was brainstorming my Weekly Menu. I knew that after returning home late on Saturday evening, Sunday would be a day spent catching up on laundry and mail and spending time with the Teen and the dogs. A perfect day for an oven roasted meal.
I decided since I was going to be serving the Brunelli wine, I wanted some Italian flair to my chicken. I pulled out one of my Lidia Bastianich cookbooks and found a recipe for this foil tented roast chicken. I added stuffing to it because the Teen loves stuffing!!
The recipe isn't really very much different from my normal roast chicken except for the gravy. That sauce.....OH MY YUM. Lidia uses the vegetables used to flavor the roast chicken to thicken the sauce instead of flour or cornstarch. The results are amazing. Lidia presses her vegetables through a fine sieve to puree them. I used a hand blender and it worked perfectly.
I look forward to seeing you during chat tomorrow. I can't wait to see if everyone else was as pleased with their wine as I was with this bottle. I am also sharing Lidia's cookbook over at Foodies Read. Stop by and see what others are reading and cooking this month.
Yield: 8 Servings
Foil Tented Roast Chicken
Pure comfort food. This golden brown and moist chicken is first cooked in a sealed foil tent. The tent is removed for the last half hour of roasting and the chicken is basted with pan juices resulting in a crisp golden skin.
prep time: 10 Mcook time: 1 H & 30 Mtotal time: 1 H & 40 M
- 1 (4 lb) roasting chicken
- 1 T. olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 carrot, scraped and cut into chunks
- 1 onion, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 stalk celery, cleaned and cut into chunks
- 2 c. chicken broth
How to cook Foil Tented Roast Chicken
- Remove giblets from chicken and wash thoroughly. Rub with olive oil and pat dry. (Fill with stuffing at this time, if desired). Place on a rack in a roasting pan.
- Place the onions, celery and carrot in a food processor and pulse until about a 1/4" dice. Add to the roaster along with the chicken broth and enough water to fill the roaster to about 1/2" deep.
- Seal the roaster with aluminum foil, tenting it so it does not touch the chicken. Place into a preheated 425* oven and roast for 1 hour.
- Remove the foil and the rack holding the chicken. Pour the juices and scrape the vegetables from the roaster into a sauce pan. Return the chicken to the roaster and baste with some of the juices from the sauce pan. Place the roaster back in the oven and roast, basting every 10 minutes, for another half an hour or until golden brown with an internal temperature of 165*.
- Remove from oven and cover lightly with foil to rest. Bring the pan juices and vegetables to a boil and cook until reduced by half. Using an immersion blender puree the vegetables to thicken the sauce and serve with the chicken.
Adapted from a recipe found in Lidia's Family Table.
Sat. Fat (grams)
Property of A Day in the Life on the Farm
Created using The Recipes Generator