Friday, March 6, 2020

Italian Roasted Chicken with a Gianni Brunelli Rosso di Montalcino #ItalianFWT

This amazingly scrumptious wine paired perfectly with roast chicken and all the fixings.  It was a great welcome home dinner upon our return from vacation.  Pure comfort at it's finest.  Aaaaahhhhh, there is no place like home.


The Italian FWT group is celebrating Women Winemakers in Italy this month.......



We have celebrated Women Winemakers with our Wine PW group but this month Pinny of  Chinese Food & Wine Pairings invited us to concentrate on the Women in Italian Wine Industry.  You can read all about it in her invitation post.


I did some research and discovered Gianni Brunelli, a winery located in Montalcino.  This winery was originally owned by Gianni's father, Dino.  Gianni bought the property after having great success with his restaurant, Siena Osteria Le Logge.  

Gianni replanted most of the vines but preserved some that his father had planted in 1947.  Gianni passed away in 2008 and his wife took over running the winery with her brother.

Laura has since expanded buying more property further south in Montalcino allowing her to blend the grapes of north and south.  This wine was pricier than what I normally spend for us to enjoy with an everyday dinner.  It is worth every penny and I will gladly spend the $40 again to share this wine with friends.

This wine is pure Sangiovese.  It pours a very intense ruby color and smells of ripe fruit.  It is full bodied and very smooth.  It is one of the nicest bottles of Sangiovese I have enjoyed and I have enjoyed a lot of them.

We will be discussing the wines and women winemakers we chose during Twitter Chat tomorrow at 11 AM ET following #ItalianFWT.  Please join in the conversation.  These are some of the wines we will be discussing:







I knew that I wanted to serve up a roast chicken with my wine.  I had decided that on our flight home from vacation when I was brainstorming my Weekly Menu.  I knew that after returning home late on Saturday evening, Sunday would be a day spent catching up on laundry and mail and spending time with the Teen and the dogs.  A perfect day for an oven roasted meal.


I decided since I was going to be serving the Brunelli wine, I wanted some Italian flair to my chicken.  I pulled out one of my Lidia Bastianich cookbooks and found a recipe for this foil tented roast chicken.  I added stuffing to it because the Teen loves stuffing!!


The recipe isn't really very much different from my normal roast chicken except for the gravy.  That sauce.....OH MY YUM.  Lidia uses the vegetables used to flavor the roast chicken to thicken the sauce instead of flour or cornstarch.  The results are amazing.  Lidia presses her vegetables through a fine sieve to puree them.  I used a hand blender and it worked perfectly.


I look forward to seeing you during chat tomorrow.  I can't wait to see if everyone else was as pleased with their wine as I was with this bottle.  I am also sharing Lidia's cookbook over at Foodies Read.  Stop by and see what others are reading and cooking this month.




#roasting, #chicken,
Entrees, Chicken
American
Yield: 8 Servings
Author:

Foil Tented Roast Chicken

Foil Tented Roast Chicken

Pure comfort food. This golden brown and moist chicken is first cooked in a sealed foil tent. The tent is removed for the last half hour of roasting and the chicken is basted with pan juices resulting in a crisp golden skin.
prep time: 10 Mcook time: 1 H & 30 Mtotal time: 1 H & 40 M

ingredients:

  • 1 (4 lb) roasting chicken
  • 1 T. olive oil
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1 carrot, scraped and cut into chunks
  • 1 onion, peeled and cut into chunks
  • 1 stalk celery, cleaned and cut into chunks
  • 2 c. chicken broth

instructions:

How to cook Foil Tented Roast Chicken

  1. Remove giblets from chicken and wash thoroughly.  Rub with olive oil and pat dry.  (Fill with stuffing at this time, if desired).  Place on a rack in a roasting pan.
  2. Place the onions, celery and carrot in a  food processor and pulse until about a 1/4" dice.  Add to the roaster along with the chicken broth and enough water to fill the roaster to about 1/2" deep.
  3. Seal the roaster with aluminum foil, tenting it so it does not touch the chicken.  Place into a preheated 425* oven and roast for 1 hour.
  4. Remove the foil and the rack holding the chicken.  Pour the juices and scrape the vegetables from the roaster into a sauce pan.  Return the chicken to the roaster and baste with some of the juices from the sauce pan.  Place the roaster back in the oven and roast, basting every 10 minutes, for another half an hour or until golden brown with an internal temperature of 165*.
  5. Remove from oven and cover lightly with foil to rest.  Bring the pan juices and vegetables to a boil and cook until reduced by half.  Using an immersion blender puree the vegetables to thicken the sauce and serve with the chicken.

NOTES:

Adapted from a recipe found in Lidia's Family Table.
Calories
205.42
Fat (grams)
12.03
Sat. Fat (grams)
3.08
Carbs (grams)
2.15
Fiber (grams)
0.42
Net carbs
1.73
Sugar (grams)
1.13
Protein (grams)
21.05
Sodium (milligrams)
337.14
Cholesterol (grams)
67.03
Created using The Recipes Generator




13 comments:

  1. I love Lidia and I know I would love that wine! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It'd be fun to visit Laura at her winery to see what all she's up to with her expansion. I'll take a 100% Sangiovese and roast chicken any day Wendy ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy that roast chicken and stuffing looks divine! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roast chicken is my comfort food. Sometimes a few extra dollars are worth it for Sangiovese!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do love a roast chicken! Sounds like and amazing combo with a lovely wine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A perfect steak and a perfect roasted chicken, there are no better foods for me! Yummy, and that wine sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mother is a huge fan of Lidia. That gravy sounds delicious. I haven't had a bottle of Rosso di Montalcino in a very long time and just happened to have one this past weekend. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.