Saturday, November 17, 2018

Rustic Elegance; Fall Vegetable Soup paired with Cremant #SoupSaturdaySwappers #Winophiles

Disclosure:  I received samples of Cremant Wine for purposes of pairing and tasting notes to be included in this blog post.  All opinions, thoughts and content are completely my own.

This soup, made with ingredients that I had on hand in freezer, pantry and refrigerator makes for a tasty, nutritious, rustic meal.  I added a touch of elegance by popping open a bottle of bubbly Cremant Rose.


Join me as Soup Saturday Swappers pairs up with the French Winophiles in my post today.......


This month's edition of Soup Saturday Swappers is being hosted by Ashley of Cheese Curd in Paradise.  Ashley asked us to make soups featuring pumpkin and/or squash.  As luck would have it I had just gotten back from a Costco run where I had come across this package of frozen butternut squash all diced and ready to go.


I snatched it up because I love butternut squash but don't always have the time nor the inclination to cut, peel and dice.  This is perfect.  It is frozen in 1 lb. bags and can be used in any application for which you would use fresh squash.

Soup Saturday Swappers is a great little group that I run in which we all create and share soups on the third Saturday of each month based on a theme chosen by one of the members.  If you are a blogger and would like to join in the fun just pop me an email at wendyklik1517@gmail.com.



Let's see what soups the others are sharing for today's theme of Pumpkin/.Squash......





Today is also the day I join in with another wonderful group called the French Winophiles.  Each month we explore a different wine or wine region of France and share our thoughts on our blogs and on twitter with chats each third Saturday morning at 11 AM ET.  You can join along with us following #Winophiles.



This month our host is Kat of Bacchus Travel and Tours.  You can see her preview post here.  Kat chose the theme of Cremant for our Holiday celebrations and the kind folk over at Teuwen Communications sent me three sample bottles of Cremant, including the bottle of  Gustave Lorentz Brut Rose from Alsace.


This wine is made from 100% Pinot Noir in the traditional method for sparkling wines. It is bright and crisp tasting.  It is bone dry.  That means I enjoyed it very much, however I enjoyed it more by itself than with the soup that chose to pair with it.  It's not that it was a bad pairing, it just didn't wow me....

I will be opening the other bottles during our Holiday Celebrations.  I like to start off with some bubbly to get the festivities started.  Using sparkling wines from areas of France, other than Champagne, means that you get the same traditional, delicious goodness without the expensive price tag.



While the pairing didn't thrill me the soup absolutely did.  This is the perfect soup for cleaning out the refrigerator before your next shopping trip.  We loved it.

More Cremant Pairings





#soup, #buttenutsquash, #fallharvest, #fallflavors, #vegetables, #chicken
Soup, Vegetables, Chicken
American
Yield: 4 main course servings or 8 first course servingsPin it

Fall Vegetable Soup with Chicken

prep time: 10 minscook time: 40 minstotal time: 50 mins
This soup, made with ingredients that I had on hand in freezer, pantry and refrigerator makes for a tasty, nutritious, rustic meal.

ingredients:

1 T. olive oil
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 carrot, scraped and sliced
1 stalk celery, sliced
1 lb. butternut squash, large dice
1 boneless, skinless chicken breast, diced to bite size chunks
8 oz. sliced mushrooms
salt and pepper to taste
1 qt. chicken stock
1 (15 oz) can white beans, drained and rinsed
1 t. Italian seasoning
1/2 head Napa cabbage, shredded

instructions:

Heat the olive oil in a dutch oven over med high heat.  Add the onions, garlic, carrots, celery and squash.  Season with salt and pepper.   Cook and stir until vegetables start to soften, about 10 minutes.

Season the chicken with salt and pepper.  Add it to the pot along with the mushrooms.  Cook and stir until the chicken is white and slightly browned in spots, another 5-10 minutes.

Add the chicken stock and beans. Season with the Italian herbs, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes.  Add the shredded cabbage and cook for a minute or two, until wilted.
Created using The Recipes Generator



29 comments:

  1. What a great chicken soup! I love the ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely going to have to hit Costco for that frozen butternut squash. What a convenience! Your soup sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might try this tonight. It's the perfect day for soup here. Winter came early this year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you had the opportunity to learn about and try some Cremant's. Budget friendly and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love butternut squash -- and often pair it with merlot! I tend to go in the direction of bisque with my bubbles-- it needs the richness to cut the acidity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your vegetable soup looks delicious Wendy! Soup and wine pairings are challenging!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rustic elegance my kind of style! Lucky you to still have two bottle of Crémant to enjoy, maybe for Thanksgiving?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning soup, and along with the wine the whole meal looks perfect for a chilly day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This soup sounds so hearty with the cabbage too in there, which I love. I don't love peeling and seeding squash either- love that frozen does just as well in here! PS. I wrote down that bottle to search at my store- it sounds perfect for a pre-thanksgiving cocktail!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is just the kind of soup I'm craving right now, as the weather gets chilly. And adding a glass of Cremant makes it a celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmmmm....how fun would it be to go through all those soup recipes and come up with perfect pairings?!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks so cozy! And I agree re the frustration of peeling butternut squash.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like a good soup! I'm going to have to try keeping some frozen butternut on hand, a good option it would seem.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so much fun. Booking-marking for all of winter!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.