Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Creamy Cranberry Chicken Wild Rice Soup #CranberryWeek #FoodieExtravaganza

Tender white meat chicken, savory mushrooms, smoky kielbasa and bright tart cherries are combined with seasoned wild rice mix to make a quick, easy and hearty main course soup.


Join me today as Cranberry Week meets up with Foodie Extravaganza........


This is Day 3 of Cranberry Week and the second recipe that I am sharing with you for this event.  Caroline of Caroline's Cooking is hosting this party and invited the members of Festive Foodies to join her in celebrating all things cranberry.



Meanwhile, over at Foodie Extravaganza, my friend Stacy of Food Lust People Love invited us to join her in sharing a creative Chicken Soup recipes.  Stacy chose this theme because November 12th is National Chicken Soup for the Soul Day. 



I created this soup for these events by starting with a Chicken Wild Rice soup that I shared with you several years ago.  I tweaked it, making more than the original recipe as I was feeding a crowd, added some smoked sausage that was in my fridge and throwing in some dried cranberries to plump up and add some sweet tartness to the soup.

I sent some leftovers home with my daughter.  While we were at a scrapbooking event together she received a text from my son in law who stated simply "This soup is damn good".  

Make sure you scroll past the recipe box to see what Cranberry creations and Chicken Soups are being served by the others today.


#soup, #maindish, #cranberries, #chicken, #kielbasa, #mushrooms, #rice,
Soup, Main Course, Chicken, Kielbasa
American
Yield: 8-10 servingsPin it

Creamy Chicken Wild Rice Soup with Cranberries

prep time: 10 minscook time: 45 minstotal time: 55 mins
Tender white meat chicken, savory mushrooms, smoky kielbasa and bright tart cherries are combined with seasoned wild rice mix to make a quick, easy and hearty main course soup.

ingredients:

2 boxes (6 oz) long grain and wild rice mix, prepared per package directions
2 T. olive oil
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into bite size chunks
8 oz. smoked sausage, sliced
1 (12 oz) pkg sliced mushrooms
1 med onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
6 c. chicken broth
1/2 t. dried tarragon, crushed
1/2 t. dried thyme, crushed
1/2 c. dried cranberries
2 cans (12 oz) evaporated milk
3 T. cornstarch

instructions:

Heat oil in a large pot or dutch oven over med high heat.  Add the chicken, sausage, mushrooms, garlic and onions.  Cook until chicken is white and onions are tender.  Add the broth, tarragon, thyme and cranberries.  Bring to a boil.  Stir in the rice and reduce to a simmer.

Whisk together the cornstarch with a little of the evaporated milk.  Add it to the pot along with the rest of the milk and cook, stirring occasionally until slightly thickened and the cranberries are plump, about 30 minutes.
Created using The Recipes Generator


More Cranberry Week Recipes

More Creative Chicken Soup Recipes




Foodie Extravaganza celebrates obscure food holidays by posting delicious recipes your family will love. Posting day is always the first Wednesday of each month. If you are a blogger and would like to join our group and blog along with us, come join our Facebook page Foodie Extravaganza. We would love to have you! If you're a home cook looking for tasty recipes, check out our Foodie Extravaganza Pinterest Board!

17 comments:

  1. I love this- I have made a casserole with these flavors, but in a soup and adding the sausage makes this so comforting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the original recipe comes from Nestlé, Wendy. I love your version with the sausage and cranberries. Perfect for chilly weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it was from one of the pamphlet type cookbooks at the grocers. I do think it was Nestles now that you mention it.

      Delete
  3. Receiving a text like that would totally make my week! This sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun fall twist on a chicken and wild rice soup! Glad it was enjoyed :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure which of your cranberry soups I like better, but the rice does sound pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were both delicious Sue. This soup is heartier and better for a meal. The squash soup is great for a starter.

      Delete
  6. So happy it's finally soup season! This sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this wild rice creamy soup, looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so creamy and delicious. I love the pop of cranberries in there. Such a delicious surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the addition of cranberries! Perfect for the season!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.