Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Tachin Joojeh #FoodnFlix

This Persian Layered Turkey and Rice dish is a great way to use up any leftover turkey that you have from Thanksgiving.  Crispy and creamy rice on top followed by a layer of turkey and caramelized onions with a layer of fluffy rice at the bottom.


Filled with the aromatic smells and flavors of the Middle East, this dish is a sure fire pleaser.....

I was inspired to make this dish after watching A Man Called Ove, my pick for this month's FoodnFlix.

Image result for a man called ove movie

I loved this book so when the movie came out I couldn't wait to watch it.  I liked it so much that I asked Heather of All Roads Lead to the Kitchen and leader of FoodnFlix if I could host in an upcoming month. 

Nearly half a year later there was an opening and she put me down for this month.  I was very excited and sent out an invitation post for others to join in the fun.  

Then November happened and I, as well as the rest of the Country, got very busy preparing for the upcoming Holidays.  I didn't get a chance to watch this movie again until the week of Thanksgiving.  My son was in town from Virginia and we watched it together.  I loved it just as much the second time.

There was not a lot of food in the movie but there was a lot of food inspiration as the movie takes place in Sweden and one of the main characters is Persian.  There are also meal scenes but the most memorable to me was when the new neighbors brought Ove dinner as a thank you for his help.  It was a rice dish containing saffron and he, begrudgingly, admitted that he liked it.

I found this wonderful recipe for Persian Layered Chicken and Rice with Yogurt from a blog called Panning the Globe.  This is a new, to me, blog but there are some wonderful recipes on this site divided up by Continent.

I adapted it to use leftover turkey instead of chicken and it was delicious.  Just a note, I used 1 large onion and I would have enjoyed more.  Perhaps the author was referring to a large onion such as a Spanish onion instead of a large white onion. I used Arborio rice as that was what I had on hand.  I also halved the amounts the author used for the sauce and still had more than we needed.


There are several steps to this recipe.  First the sauce.


The poultry and onion layer, flavored with turmeric.



 And the rice, half flavored with egg yolks, yogurt and saffron.


And half tossed with olive oil and seasoned with salt and pepper.

This gets layered into a glass casserole and baked until the bottom is browned and crispy.  It makes a beautiful presentation.  It was a little bland but I think that is because I did not use enough onions.  The bites with the onions were absolutely amazing.  So, again, I implore you to double the amount of onion that I used.


I will be doing a round up of recipes from the other members that joined me this month on November 30th.  Please stop back by and see what they thought of this movie and what they were inspired to make.



#casseroles, #international, #MiddleEastern, #rice, #leftovers, #turkey,
Entrees, Casserole, Leftovers, Poultry
Iranian
Yield: 6 servingsPin it

Tachin Joojeh (Persian Layered Poultry and Rice)

prep time: 15 minscook time: 50 minstotal time: 65 mins
This Persian Layered Turkey and Rice dish is a great way to use up any leftover turkey that you have from Thanksgiving. Crispy and creamy rice on top followed by a layer of turkey and caramelized onions with a layer of fluffy rice at the bottom.

ingredients:

Sauce:
1 c. plain Greek yogurt
1 clove garlic, minced
juice of 1/4 lemon
salt and pepper to taste

Turkey and Onion:
1 lg. onion, halved and thinly sliced
1 T. olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste
1/8 t. Turmeric
2 c. leftover turkey, cut into bite size pieces

Tachin:
 2 c. rice
2 egg yolks
3/4 c. plain Greek yogurt
1/4 t. saffron threads, crushed
salt and pepper, to taste
 2  T. butter, melted
2 T. olive oil

instructions:

Sauce:
Combine the yogurt, garlic, and lemon juice in a small bowl.  Taste and season with salt and pepper.  Place in refrigerator until ready to serve.

Poultry and Onions:
Heat 1 T. olive oil in large skillet.  Add the onions, season with salt, pepper and turmeric.  Cook and stir until golden and caramelized, about 10 minutes.  Add the turkey and stir to combine.  Set aside.

Tachin:
Rinse rice with cold water.  Place in a saucepan with 1 teaspoon of salt.  Add water to cover by 2".  Place over high heat until it comes to a boil.  Reduce heat, cover and cook for 7 minutes.  Drain and rinse with cold water to stop cooking.

Whisk together the egg yolks, 3/4 c. yogurt, saffron, salt and pepper in a medium bowl.  Add half of the rice and stir until coated. 

Swirl the butter and oil in the bottom and sides of a clear, glass, 2 qt. casserole.  Add the yogurt and rice mixture and press into the bottom of the casserole.  Layer the onions and turkey over the yogurt/rice mixture.  Toss the remaining rice with 1 Tablespoon of olive oil, salt and pepper.  Layer this over the turkey.  

Double wrap with aluminum foil and bake in a preheated 400* oven for 50 minutes, until the bottom is golden and crusty.  Flip over onto a serving platter and serve with the yogurt sauce on the side.


NOTES:

Adapted from a recipe found at Panning the Globe.
Created using The Recipes Generator

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the onion tip. Looks delicious and a great way to use up turkey. So glad you hosted this film for November. It was a perfect fit. Have a great weekend, Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks absolutely warming and wonderful, Wendy. I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.