Thursday, October 26, 2017

Shrimp Prosciutto and Mushroom Pizza for #NationalPizzaMonth #MadeinFrance

October is a great month!  The weather cools.  The foliage turns into a kaleidoscope of colors.  The houses get all decked out for All Hallow's Eve. The kids are all running around giddy excited.  There is candy and chocolate and goodies galore.

And then to make this month even more fantabulous......It is National Pizza Month!!  Those who know me, know that there is no food that I love more than Pizza.  It beats out chocolate and cookies. It beats out pasta and potatoes.  It beats out steak and lobster.  Not that I don't  love all those foods too but.....C'mon....it's PIZZA!!

Our friend, Colleen of The Redhead Baker feels that same as I about pizza so she decided to throw a party and invite all of us like-minded bloggers to bring a pizza to the bash.  


I made up a batch of homemade pizza dough.  This recipe makes enough for 2 pizzas if you are serving a family.  I used half for our pizza, since it is just me and Frank, and put the other half into the refrigerator to turn into garlic knots to serve with dinner another night.


I sauteed up some mushrooms and onions to add to the pizza.  I like precooking my mushrooms and onions first.  I think the flavor is better.  I'm not a huge raw mushroom and onion person and it doesn't have quite enough time to get cooked to my liking in the 10 minute baking time.


I always try to add some greens to my pizza.  It is a great way to sneak in some extra nutrition and it helps to alleviate some of the guilt of this guilty pleasure of mine.  I had some baby kale in the refrigerator but any tender greens will work.  If you have adult greens, sauté them up first with the mushrooms and onions.


Then I sprinkled on the Mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses, layered several slice of prosciutto on top and covered the entire pizza with 12 large shrimp before popping it into a hot oven. 


While the pizza baked I went into the wine fridge and pulled out this bottle Touraine Sauvignon Blanc from Paul Buisse.  This wine was provided to me from Whole Foods as part of their #MadeinFrance event.  You can learn more about this event in this post or by searching #MadeinFrance on any social media platform.  

While this wine was provided as a sample all opinions in this blog are strictly my own.  This wine is clear, bright and crisp.  Coming from the Loire Valley it pairs well with fresh water fish but I thought it could stand up well to the shrimp and prosciutto on this pizza.  I was right and I was happy that I made this choice.


My pizza didn't want to come off the peel very easily.  Make sure you put down a nice layer of cornmeal on the peel under the pizza dough before you add the toppings. I use a pizza stone and wooden peel when I make pizza.  If you don't have or don't use a pizza stone you can just form this pizza right onto a baking sheet.

As you can see, my pizza is a little misshapen but it tasted absolutely marvelous.  I added additional mushrooms and onions to the top of this pizza when I decided to only make one pie instead of two.



The buttery flavor of the Sauvignon was perfect with the shrimp.  The crispness of the wine helped cut the richness of the cheese and prosciutto.  It was a wonderful dinner.


I can't wait to see what all the others are sharing with us today.  I am excited to have new pizzas to try each month.  You will find links to the recipes right underneath mine.  Pizza anyone??

Shrimp Prosciutto and Mushroom Pizza

1 recipe pizza dough, homemade, store bought or your favorite recipe
1/4 c. pizza sauce, or to taste
5 oz. sliced mushrooms
1/2 small onion, sliced
2 t. olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
2 handfuls of baby kale
1 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 c. shredded parmesan cheese
4 slices prosciutto
12 large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined

Heat the olive oil in a skillet. Add the mushrooms and onions. Season with salt and pepper and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes.  Remove from heat and set aside.

Roll your dough into a round or square to your desired thickness.  Spread the pizza sauce over the dough, leaving a 1" border.  Sprinkle the mushrooms and onions over the sauce and top with the kale, covering the mushrooms and onions.

Sprinkle the cheese over all and then add a layer of the prosciutto topped with the shrimp.  Bake in a preheated 500* oven for about 10 minutes, until shrimp is pink, cheese is bubbly and crust is golden brown.  Print Recipe

More recipes to celebrate #National Pizza Day

9 comments:

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.