Monday, October 30, 2017

Mediterranean Muffins #MuffinMonday

Happy Muffin Monday all.  I have a savory muffin to share with you today.  These muffins are stuffed with sundried tomatoes and feta cheese.  I omitted the kalamata olives that the original recipe contained because 1. I didn't have any in the house and (most importantly) 2. Frank doesn't like olives.



Since these muffins were made to accompany a Mediterranean Chili we were having for dinner, I wanted to make sure he liked them.  That chili recipe will be coming up in a couple of weeks so stay tuned.



These are not light and fluffy muffins.  These are dense and hearty muffins.  Perfect for a soup and bread supper.  I usually try to have bread of some sort with dinner.  We grew up doing so.  I'm sure it was a way for my mother to fill up 4 growing boys as well as 2 girls, herself and our Pops.  We also had a lot of soup dinners.  You can stretch a couple of pounds of meat a long way if you put it into a soup, stew or sauce.


I worked the afternoon shift when my children were young.  Their dad worked the day shift so this meant they only needed to be home unattended for a couple of hours in between my leaving and their dad coming home.  Someone once asked my daughter what kind of dinners her dad would make.  She responded "the same as mom except mom has more vegetables and bread when she makes dinner".


I hope that you enjoy these muffins with your next dinner.  Frank ended up really liking them so I was glad that I didn't include olives.  I, however, think the olives would have been marvelous in these already wonderful muffins.


Mediterranean Muffins
adapted from Land o Lakes butter

2 c. flour
1 T. sugar
1 T. baking powder
3-4 sundried tomatoes, packed in oil, drained and finely chopped
1/3 c. crumbled feta cheese
1/4 c. fresh basil leaves, chopped
3/4 c. milk
1/4 c. butter, melted and cooled
1 egg
Parmesan cheese  for sprinkling

In large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar and baking powder.  Add the tomatoes, basil and feta.  Stir to combine and make a well in the center of the dry ingredients.

In a small bowl, whisk together the milk, butter and egg.  Pour into the well created in the dry ingredients and mix just until combined.

Divide into a 12 cup muffin pan that has been treated with cooking spray or lined with paper cups.  Sprinkle the muffins with Parmesan cheese and bake in a preheated 400* oven for 15-20 minutes or until a skewer inserted removes cleanly. Print Recipe

More Marvelous Muffins

7 comments:

  1. I knew I was going to like these muffins just from the name, Wendy. And I was right! Love the combo of sun-dried tomato and feta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were really good Stacy. I would absolutely add the olives if I were you.

      Delete
  2. Wendy,
    I think savory dinner muffins are not shown the love they deserve. Great idea for Mediterranean flavors in this hearty muffin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound delicious. I tend to favor muffins like this, with lots of savory flavors, and easily substituted for dinner rolls. Love your story here =) So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious combination! Love a savoury muffin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh Wendy...!! I knew I'd love these from the title. I adore these ingredients and flavors - what a perfect soup accompaniment!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.