Sunday, October 8, 2017

Kid Friendly Mac and Cheese in a Crockpot #SundaySupper

Our theme for this week's Sunday Supper is Slow Cooker Comfort Food.  You would think this would be an easy theme for me.  I love using my crockpot for stews and soups and roasts.....all comfort foods.  The only problem is, I have already posted all of those wonderful, comforting recipes.

Then, to make it even tougher, tomorrow we are celebrating Crocktober and are sharing even more Crockpot recipes.  The recipe I made for Crocktober is classic comfort food as well, Beef Shank Pasta Sauce, yum.



Providence smiled upon me, however, when my Little Angel Face turned 3 years old.  We had a Moana themed birthday party, held at her Aunt Amy's, and I provided the food.


I prepared all the food at home so that I didn't need to turn on Amy's oven and heat up the house.  Even though it was the end of September the temps were in the high 80's on the day of the party.

 

Keeping with the Hawaiian theme, I made Kalua pork in my electric roaster, that I tossed with homemade bbq sauce and served on Hawaiian King Rolls.  I also served up some Baked Coconut Chicken strips for any kids that may not care for pulled pork. I made up a Rice Mingle Salad and then at the last minute decided I should also have a more kid friendly side dish as well.

I decided on Mac and Cheese.  What kid does not like Mac and Cheese?  What adult, for that matter.  Normally, I make a dry Macaroni and Cheese in the oven.  It is a family favorite but, as I said, it was HOT and I didn't want to make Amy's house any hotter.

Then I remembered this event was coming up.  Providence!!  Slow Cooker Comfort Food.  Creamy, delicious Mac and Cheese.....Perfect.


Even better, I had everything I needed in my refrigerator and pantry.  I threw it all into the crockpot and set it to low.  After a couple of hours, I peeked inside and gave it a good stir, now that everything was melted and the pasta was partially cooked.


When I was ready to head out the door to Amy's, about an hour later, this is how the contents of the slow cooker looked.  Upon arrival, I turned the slow cooker back to low and let it cook for another hour, before turning it to warm as guests began to arrive.


When dinner was served, I had only to give the Mac and Cheese a quick stir and it was ready to go.  It must have been good because there was not a drop left when I went to get my plate while the others were enjoying birthday cake.

This is a great recipe for this theme.  It was perfect for taking to a party and would be a wonderful addition to a pot luck.  Being made in a crock pot, it is hands off so if you are going to be gone for a few hours enjoying the weekend it would be a nice meal to have waiting upon your return.  It only needs about 4 hrs. on low heat so it would not be great for a workday unless your slow cooker is equipped with a delay start.

Kid Friendly Mac & Cheese in a Crockpot
adapted from Kraft

4 c. lowfat milk
1 lb. processed cheese product (like Velveeta)
1 stick butter, cut into 10-12 pieces
1 lb. macaroni noodles
salt and pepper to taste 

Treat the crock of a slow cooker, liberally, with cooking spray.  Add all ingredients to the crock and cook on low for 3-3 1/2 hrs., stirring halfway through cooking time to combine.  Print Recipe

More Crockpot Comfort Foods


Desserts, Breakfasts, and Sides

Main Dish

Soups, Stews, and Pastas

Sunday Supper MovementJoin the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.






2 comments:

  1. Oh, my goodness, this looks like the easiest macaroni and cheese ever! It would disappear at our house quickly, too!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.