Saturday, October 7, 2017

Polish Noodles and Cabbage #CookbookMonth

My friend Amy, of Amy's Cooking Adventures, decided to host an event in honor of Cookbook Month.  She asked all of us to share a recipe from a community cookbook that we love or to share a recipe that we would include in a community cookbook.

Last year, Amy spearheaded a fundraiser for the school that her sons attend and for which she works, and created a gorgeous cookbook filled with recipes written and made by the kids.  It turned out beautifully and I had originally thought to borrow her MIL's (my friend Kirsten) copy and thank her for hosting by making a recipe from it.


Instead I ended up using a cookbook that was made as a fundraiser for our children's school to which I had contributed several recipes, including my Chicken Tetrazzini.  This was created to celebrate the church community's 50th anniversary.  It was published in 1995 when our youngest children were attending elementary school there.

This cookbook has gotten a ton of use over the past 22 years.  I turn to it often when looking for quick weeknight meals that will use common ingredients that I will, most likely, have on hand.  I open it whenever I am stuck for an idea to bring to a potluck and I open it to favorites that I have made repeatedly over the years like Broccoli Salad and Spinach and Strawberry Salad.

I am also sharing this post over at Foodies Read 2017 where bloggers get together and share their favorite foodie books or cookbooks and the recipes they inspire.


This rustic Polish dish is a favorite Meatless Monday or Lenten dish around here.  I did not know Fran Juszak but I have made her recipe hundreds of times.  I am happy to share it with you here.


My adaptations to this recipe include adding mushrooms and omitting caraway seeds and sour cream.  It cooks up quickly, is very inexpensive and the epitome of comfort food.

You can add smoked kielbasa to make it a more substantial meal or you can serve it as a side dish with breaded pork chops or fresh kielbasa.


Polish Cabbage and Noodles
adapted from Cooking with the Best, submitted by Fran Juszak

1/4 c. butter
1/2  of a medium sweet onion, thinly sliced
8 oz. sliced mushrooms
1/2 head cabbage, thinly sliced
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 lb. egg noodles, cooked per package directions

Melt butter in a large skillet over medium high heat.  Add the onions and cook for a couple of minutes until softening and fragrant.  Add the mushrooms and cabbage.  Cook and stir until cabbage is tender, 5-10 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper.  Toss with pasta and serve.  Print Recipe

Don’t miss these awesome community cookbook recipes for #CookbookMonth!


10 comments:

  1. Sometimes the simplest dishes are the best! I love cabbage and this looks perfect! How much sour cream did the original recipe call for? I ask because I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shannon, the original calls for 1/2 c. sour cream. We had my sil's version when we went to dinner at her house last night and it contained no cabbage but cottage cheese and sour cream. It was delicious too.

      Delete
  2. Such a warm and comforting dish! Hearty too, even though it's meatless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is pure comfort food and I absolutely love that you added mushrooms! I have a cookbook obsession and my husband would rather kill me than see me purchase another one, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband has given up and built me bookshelves for all of my many cookbooks.

      Delete
  4. I just love these kinds of recipes! What a great story behind the cookbook too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen, there were a lot of touching stories for this event.

      Delete
  5. I distinctively remember my mom making The original recipe of this dish. She liked to try out things. I loved the sour cream and caraway seeds and can remember the taste and smell. Yummy stuff. Your's sounds pretty darn tempting, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zip, I'm glad I could bring back happy food memories for you.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.