Friday, October 6, 2017

Pumpkin and Fish Stew #PumpkinWeek #MadeinFrance

Wow....This is it....The Final Day of Pumpkin Week.  Didn't that seem to go very quickly?  I hope you enjoyed it as much as I.  So many amazing recipes.  Good thing that October is just beginning because I have well more than a month's worth of recipes that I want to try.


Please join me in thanking Terri of Love and Confections for all of her hard work on this event.  It is definitely a labor of love.


I wanted to serve another savory dish this week and, since today is Friday, I wanted to include some fish and seafood with my pumpkin.


I cannot begin to tell you how wonderfully delicious this Fish Stew turned out.  I only made a recipe for 2 and was kicking myself because it was so good that we couldn't get enough of it.  This is definitely going on the recipe rotation and I look forward to serving it to guests.


I found this recipe doing a google search.  I found a website out of Florida that listed 6 Must Make Pumpkin Fish Recipes for Fall, which in turn sent me to this recipe at Rachel's Kitchen NZ.  I adapted it to serve only two. You can, and I recommend, doubling or tripling this recipe.  I used cod instead of monkfish and I added some shrimp that I had in the freezer.  The shrimp was a wonderful addition to this stew.

I served this up with some French Bread and a wonderful glass of French Sur Lie that had been provided by Whole Foods for the #MadeinFrance event they sponsored yesterday.  You can read all about that in this post.  



Disclosure:  I received product from Whole Foods for the #MadeinFrance event.  Whole foods is not involved at all in #PumpkinWeek and did not request inclusion in this post.  I wanted to share the pairing because I thought it was lovely.  All content and opinions in this post are exclusively mine.


This stew was quick, easy and comforting.  It is the perfect Fall meal on a Fish Friday and would also be an elegant and beautiful starter or fish course for your next dinner party.  I think the next time I serve it as the main course, I will add some white beans to make it a bit more substantial.

Pumpkin and Fish Stew
adapted from Rachel's Kitchen NZ

2 c. pumpkin, peeled and cubed into bite size pieces
1 small onion, roughly chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2 t. olive oil
1 (15 oz.) can diced tomatoes with their juices
1 c. water
1 chicken bouillon cube
1/2 t. dried Italian herbs, crushed
2 handfuls of baby spinach leaves
2 (4-6 oz) cod fillets, skinned and cut into bite size pieces
8 large shrimp, peeled, deveined and tails removed
salt and pepper to taste

Place the pumpkin into a microwave safe dish with a 1/2 c. of water. Cover partially and microwave on high for 5 minutes. Remove, drain and set aside.

In a soup pot over med high heat, cook the onions and garlic in the olive oil until softened and fragrant, about 10 minutes.   

Add the tomatoes, with their juices, the water, and the bouillon cube along with the Italian herbs. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, add the pumpkin, and simmer for about half an hour, until slightly thickened.

Stir in the spinach leaves.  When spinach is wilted add the fish and shrimp, cover and cook until shrimp are pink and fish is easily flaked with a fork.  Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed. Print Recipe

All the Final Fabulous Pumpkin Recipes

Pumpkin Drink Recipes:

"Grown Up" Potter Pumpkin Juice from The Crumby Kitchen.
Hot'N'Spicy Pumpkin Margarita from Culinary Adventures with Camilla.

Savory Pumpkin Recipes:

Pumpkin and Fish Stew from A Day in the Life on the Farm.
Pumpkin Chili from Making Miracles.
Pumpkin Crab Soup from Hardly A Goddess.
Pumpkin Pasta from Caroline's Cooking.
Thai Pumpkin Curry from Palatable Pastime.

Sweet Pumpkin Recipes:

Caramel Pecan Pumpkin Bread from The Freshman Cook.
Fall Harvest Pumpkin Sourdough Muffins from Cooking With Carlee.
Pumpkin Spice Milkshake from Family Around The Table.
Pumpkin Pie Cream Horns from Mildly Meandering.
Pumpkin Pie Spice Snowball Cookies from Love and Confections.
Pumpkin Spice Thumbprint Cookies from The Bitter Side of Sweet.
Pumpkin Spiced Banana Bread from Daily Dish Recipes.
Pumpkin Tiramisu from The Redhead Baker.

8 comments:

  1. This looks fantastic- I love the big chunks of pumpkin and shrimp left whole- how satisfying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a half butternut squash that is calling me to sub in on this one. It looks delicious, sort of a modified, easy bouillabaisse?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Butternut squash would be perfect in this Claudia. I have never had Bouillabaisse but this was definitely easy and delicious.

      Delete
  3. Mmm that sounds so good. I can see that Muscadet making a perfect pairing to that stew.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in the middle of making this now. The recipe doesn't say when to add the pumpkin, I'm trying at the end with the fish. I'm also tempted to season the pumpkin before adding, maybe saltand thyme

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for pointing this out to me. The pumpkin should be added with the tomatoes to warm before you add the fish and shrimp as they cook quickly. Seasoning to taste is always good.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.