Pumpkin Week is the brainchild of Terri of Love and Confections. Each Fall, Terri invites us to join her in a weeklong event in which we create and share recipes that contain pumpkin. She plans this early enough so that our readers have time to find the perfect recipes for Halloween and Thanksgiving. So far this week I have shared with you a Pumpkin Milkshake and a Ginger Pumpkin and Leek Soup.
Foodie Extravaganza is brought to you this month by Kathleen of Fearlessly Creative Mammas who chose Chocolate as our theme. Themes are chosen, each month, from The Nibble where you can find all the foods being honored with a holiday for that month. October has holidays for both Chocolate and Pumpkin so it worked out perfectly that Foodie Extravaganza fell during Pumpkin Week.
A while back my friends, Rob and Linda, gave me The Ghiradelli Chocolate Cookbook that they had bought for me while on a trip to San Francisco. This cookbook is filled with the history of Ghiradelli, an Italian Chocolatier who emigrated to San Francisco in 1849. It gives the history of chocolate and it gives tips on storing and using chocolate and even gives ideas on entertaining with chocolate. Choc-tail party anyone?
Of course, it is filled with great recipes as well. Alas there were no recipes containing both pumpkin and chocolate but there was one for Chocolate and Peanut Butter Cheesecake Bars. It didn't take long for me to make the leap to Chocolate and Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars.
I substituted pumpkin puree for the peanut butter but left everything else pretty much the same. You can click on the link for my recipe for pumpkin puree which freezes very well or you can use canned puree. The recipe called for Sweet Ground Chocolate and Cocoa. I couldn't find this product in my local grocers so I just used baking cocoa.
I started by making the crust, pressing it into a 9x13" baking pan and baking it until set. While the crust was cooling, I made the pumpkin cheesecake filling, poured it over the crust and baked it for about 37 minutes. I allowed the cheesecake to cool completely before melting the chocolate and frosting the cheesecake.
I cut my portions smaller than called for in the cookbook which called for scoring the chocolate to make 24 bars. I scored mine to make 40 bars.
Make sure you scroll past the recipe to find links to the other Pumpkin Week and Foodie Extravaganza participants. I am also linking up to Foodie Reads 2016 where like minded bloggers share their foodie books and inspiration.
Chocolate Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars
adapted from Ghiradelli Chocolate Cookbook
8 sheets graham crackers, crumbled
1/3 c. baking cocoa
1 stick butter, melted
3 T. sugar
16 oz. Cream Cheese
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. pumpkin puree
3 T. flour
1/2 c. Half & Half
1 t. vanilla
2 oz. milk chocolate chips
1/2 t. coconut oil
Combine graham cracker crumbs, cocoa, sugar and butter. Press evenly onto the bottom of a 9x13" baking pan. Bake in a preheated 350* oven for 8 minutes. Remove from oven and place on a cooling rack, leaving oven on.
While crust cools, place the cream cheese, sugar, pumpkin and flour in the large bowl of a stand mixer. Using the paddle attachment, beat at low speed until well combined. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Mix in the milk and vanilla. Pour into the baking pan over the crust. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until just set. Allow to cool completely.
When cheesecake is completely cooled, place the chocolate and coconut oil in a small bowl and microwave in 15 second increments, stirring after each, until melted and smooth. Spread over the cheesecake and refrigerate for 10 minutes. Remove from refrigerator and score the chocolate to make desired number of bars. Return to the refrigerator for at least half an hour or until ready to serve. Print Recipe
More Pumpkin Week Recipes
- Autumn's Savory Pumpkin Cream Pasta with Bratwurst from Kudos Kitchen by Renee.
- Bean Soup with Pumpkin and Zucchini from Feeding Big.
- Chocolate and Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars from A Day in the Life on the Farm.
- Chocolate Hazelnut Swirl Pumpkin Muffins from Love and Confections.
- Gluten Free Pumpkin Pizza from Gluten Free Crumbley.
- Kadu Bouranee from Culinary Adventures with Camilla.
- Maple Pumpkin Butter from Cooking With Carlee.
- Pumpkin Bread Rolls from Making Miracles.
- Pumpkin Cornbread from A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures.
- Pumpkin Crepes from The Redhead Baker.
- Pumpkin Milkshake from Cindy's Recipes and Writings.
- Pumpkin Waffles with Pumpkin Praline Topping from Grumpy's Honeybunch.
- Pumpkin Whoopie Pies from The Freshman Cook.
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Chili from Palatable Pastime.
- Whipped Pumpkin Spice Honey Butter from Family Around The Table
More Chocolate Goodies
- Holy Mole Pork Stew from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Triple Chocolate and Cream Trifle from Fearlessly Creative Mammas
- 2 Kiss Cupcakes from Sneha's Recipe
- Chocolate Lovers Dream Cake from Cookin and Craftin
- Kahlua Chocolate Cake from Making Miracles
- Queen Anne Squares from Tara's Multicultural Table
- Hot Fudge Cheesecake Brownies from Cookaholic Wife
- Nutty Chocolate Fudge from Basic N Delicious
- Chocolate Blintzes from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Chocolate Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Slow Cooker Chicken Mole from Caroline's Cooking
- Simple Chocolate Cake from Passion Kneaded
- Chocolate Rugelach from Hardly a Goddess
- Crispy Chocolate Surprise Balls from G'Gina's Kitchenette
- Marshmallow Turtle Bars from Food Lust People Love
- Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins from Not Too Shabby Gabby