Monday, September 26, 2016

Fall Harvest Muffins #MuffinMonday

The last Monday of each month I join my friend, Stacy of Food Lust People Love, and other like minded bloggers to celebrate Muffin Monday.  I try to join in each month because muffins are a great thing.  They can be savory or sweet.  They freeze well, so last until the next month when it is time to make another batch.  They are portable so you can grab one as you run out the door or hand one to your family as they run out the door, feeling good that they are starting the day with a (somewhat) healthy breakfast.

The muffins I am sharing today contain a good amount of sugar but they are also chock full of fruit, veggies and nuts so are better than a bowl of sugary cereal.  They taste better than cereal too so your kids won't balk about eating breakfast.  They also make a great afternoon snack to stave of the hangries before dinner.  You know the hangries...that anger people get when they allow their blood sugar to drop because they haven't eaten in 4 or 5 hours.

I adapted this recipe from one found on the Land o Lakes website.  I substituted a pear for one of the apples, zucchini for the carrots, pepitas for the nuts and dried cranberries for the dried cherries. I pretty much made it my own but I did get the original idea from this recipe. 

Muffins are so quick and easy to put together that you can squeeze in making them between showering and leaving for work, or between television programs or before you do the dishes so they can bake while you clean.  You get the idea.  Anywhere you find a free half an hour.


Simply combine your dry ingredients.


Stir in your add ins.


Add the wet ingredients.


Stir just until moistened.


Scoop into tins lined with papers or treated with baking spray.
Pop them into the oven for 18-20 minutes.


Enjoy!!

Fall Harvest Muffins
inspired by Land O Lakes

1 1/2 c. flour
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. old fashioned oats
1 T. cinnamon
2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1 med. apple, peeled, cored and cut into 1/4" dice
1 med. pear, peeled, cored and cut into 1/4" dice
1 1/2 c. grated zucchini
3/4 c. dried cranberries
1/2 c. roasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
3 eggs
1/2 c. butter, melted
1/2 c. applesauce
2 t. vanilla

Combine flour, sugar, oats, cinnamon, soda and salt in a large bowl.  Add apple, pear, zucchini, cranberries and pepitas to flour mixture.  In a small bowl, whisk together the butter, eggs, applesauce and vanilla.  Pour over dry ingredients and mix just until moistened. Place 1/4 c. batter into each of 18 muffin tins that have been lined with paper or treated with baking spray.  Bake in a preheated oven for 18-20 minutes or until a wooden skewer inserted in the center of  a muffin removes cleanly. Print Recipe

More Monday Muffins



#MuffinMonday is a group of muffin loving bakers who get together once a month to bake muffins. You can see all our of lovely muffins by following our Pinterest board.

Updated links for all of our past events and more information about Muffin Monday, can be found on our home page.

12 comments:

  1. Wow, those are chock full of good stuff, Wendy! I think the fruit and zucchini and even the pumpkin seeds and dried cranberries outweigh the sugar, making these healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy,
    What a terrific combo of flavors--these muffins are aptly named. I like how you made it your own--always a mark of a confident baker. I'm glad to bake alongside you each month.
    Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They sound delicious. So much so that I'm tempted to try my hand making them when I get a replacement for the wheat flour. Thank you for all the recipes that you share. Delicious stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These muffins are filled with everything I love!!! Perfect breakfast or snack!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are filled with so much goodness! That's a perfect breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness - those are crammed full of some YUMMY things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sure are Rebekah making them filling enough to be a perfect breakfast.

      Delete
  7. thanks for the recipe...but in the print recipe instructions no mention of adding the soda to the dry ingreds. nor the applesauce to the wet.....also oven temp? i used 350 and did need the longer timing....Taste was great so very fall....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know. I really need an editor LOL. I will fix this right now. So glad that you enjoyed them.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.