The funny thing about retro is that it is different for all of us. For my kids, retro is food popular in the 70's. For their kids it is food popular in the 90's. For me and my generation...we go back to the 50's. The good old days....women are liberated from the kitchen with the advent of frozen dinners, packaged meals and canned soups. Our parents used Campbell's canned soups for everything, from the can with sandwiches, in casseroles, as gravies and sauces and even in desserts.
I decided to add some Springtime Sprinkles to celebrate the season.
This cake is a perfect mixture of spice and tanginess.
The orange glaze adds some depth and flavor.
Classic Tomato Soup Cake
slightly adapted from Back of the Box Gourmet
2 c. flour
1 1/3 c. sugar
4 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
1 1/2 t. allspice
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. ground cloves
1 (10 3/4 oz) can condensed tomato soup
1/2 c. shortening
1/4 c. water
adapted from Martha Stewart
4 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 c. powdered sugar
pinch of salt
1 T. freshly squeezed orange juice
1 t. orange zest
3 T. milk (plus extra if needed for thinning)
Place all ingredients for cake in large bowl of stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment. Beat at low speed until combined, scraping sides often. Beat at high speed for 4 minutes, scraping occasionally. Spread
into a bundt pan that has been treated with baking spray. Bake in a preheated 350* oven for 35-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center removes cleanly.
Let cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes. Turn out of pan onto cooling rack and let cool completely before drizzling with cream cheese glaze if desired.
Glaze: In small bowl of stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment beat cream cheese until light and fluffy, scraping sides of the bowl as needed. Add the sugar and beat on low speed until combined. Add salt, zest, juice and milk. Mix on low speed until smooth, add additional milk 1 T. spoon at a time to reach desired consistency. Print Recipe
- Boston Cream Bundt by Andrea at Adventures in All Things Food
- Boston Cream Pie Bundt Cake by Mary at Los Chatos Chefs
- Campbell's Tomato Soup Cake by Wendy at A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Coca~Cola Bundt Cake by Mondo at I Bake He Shoots
- Hummingbird Bundt Cake by Teri at The Freshman Cook
- Inside-Out Ho Hos Lava Bundt Cake by Colleen at Faith, Hope, Love & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Key Lime Bundt Cake by Sarah at The Chef Next Door
- Lemon Meringue Pie Bundt by Felice at All That's Left are the Crumbs
- New York Style Crumb Cake by Tammy at Living the Gourmet
- Nutella Chocolate MIlkshake Bundt Cake by Bea and Mara at I Love Bundt Cakes
- Orange Creamsicle Cake by Sue at Palatable Pastime
- Pantera Rosa Bundt Cake by Rocío at kidsandchic
- Root Beer Float Bundt Cake by Rebekah at Making Miracles
- Sock It To Me Cake by Stacy at Food Lust People Love
- Strawberry Milkshake Swirl Bundt Cake by Laura at Baking in Pyjamas
- Tomato Soup Bundt Cake by Tux at Brooklyn Homemaker
- Tunnel of Fudge Cake by Kelly at Passion Kneaded