Friday, June 9, 2023

Triple Aged Cheddar Cheeseburger, a Bottle of Cabernet and a Book Review #WinePW

This delicious burger is stuffed with both white and yellow cheddar that has been aged 2 years before being grilled to a perfect medium rare and being topped with horseradish cheddar.  If you are a cheese lover this is the burger for you!!!

Triple Cheddar Cheeseburger

I intentionally made a burger heavy on the Cheddar to pair with a Cabernet Sauvignon wine......
Duckhorn Wine

We had been given a bottle of Duckhorn Cabernet Sauvignon as a host gift when we had our gathering with the Dive family to discuss our Egypt trip.

When Cam of Culinary Cam, who is hosting or Wine Pairing Weekend this month, announced that we could share any bottle that we opened to pair with cheese I knew right away that I was going to open this bottle.


In anticipation of opening the wine, I bought several blocks of aged cheddar cheese.  Aged Cheddar and Cab Sauv is a classic pairing and having enjoyed Duckhorn wines many times in the past I knew that the wine was going to be wonderful.

Burgers and Wine

I was enjoying a beautiful summer day lounging in the pool with the latest book that I was reading when I decided that instead of just doing a wine and cheese pairing, I was going to use that cheese to make a burger.

Murder in Florence

Murder in Florence is the third in a series that I have been reading by T.A Williams.  I started reading this series by accident when I misordered the first book that had the same name as those in a series by Camilla Trinchieri.  I read the three books in that series too and you can find reviews for all of my books by going to the reading list tabs at the top of my page.

In this novel, Dan Armstrong and his trusty sidekick Oscar, a labrador retriever, are hired to investigate death threats on a movie set in Florence.  As in all cozy mysteries there is, in fact, a murder and Dan is working hard with the local police to find and stop the suspect before any more murders occur.

While on the set, Oscar is treated to a cheeseburger by some of the crew members.  This made me hungry for a cheeseburger and I decided to use that cheese that I bought to make a Cheddar centric burger to pair with my wine.

When I came into the house to make the burgers, I asked Frank to open the wine.  He looked at me like I was nuts....."You are going to have Duckhorn with a burger?"  In his mind a bottle as nice as Duckhorn should always be enjoyed with a steak, preferably a filet mignon....his absolute favorite meal.

I responded that I was and handed him the camera saying "take a picture" so he did.....this is what I live with each and every day!!!!!

Man being goofy

Luckily he did also take photos of the wine for me.  He also admitted that the pairing was awesome.  Of course, any pairing with this wine would be awesome.  Duckhorn Vineyards consistently turn out wines that are exquisite.  

This particular 2018 vintage is now sold out but the 2019 vintage is available.  This wine is 83% Cabernet Sauvignon blended with 16% Merlot and a touch of Cab Franc and Petit Verdot.  It was silky and smooth, fruity and dry.  It is everything that I love in a bottle of wine.

Cam will be hosting a Twitter Chat about wine and cheese pairings tomorrow at 11 AM ET.  You are welcome to join us and will find us by searching #WinePW.  Here are some of the topics we will be discussing......
I will also be linking up with Foodies Read.  Stop by and see what the other Foodies are reading this month.


Burgers, Cheese, Grilling, Beef, Cheddar,
Entrees, Beef, Burgers
American
Yield: 3 burgers
Author: Wendy Klik
Triple Aged Cheddar Cheeseburger

Triple Aged Cheddar Cheeseburger

This delicious burger is stuffed with both white and yellow cheddar that has been aged 2 years before being grilled to a perfect medium rare and being topped with horseradish cheddar. If you are a cheese lover this is the burger for you!!!
Prep time: 5 MinCook time: 10 MinTotal time: 15 Min

Ingredients

  • 1 lb. ground beef
  • 1 1/2 oz. Aged yellow cheddar cheese
  • 1 1/2 oz. Aged white cheddar cheese
  • Montreal Steak Seasoning
  • 1 1/2 oz. Horseradish cheddar cheese
  • Hamburger buns of choice
  • Condiments of choice

Instructions

  1. Divide the burger into 3 equal portions, then divide each portion in half. Flatten the halves into thin patties.
  2. Place a half ounce of both white and yellow cheddar cheese onto three of the patties and top with the remaining three patties. Press around the edges to seal forming three 1/3 lb burgers. Season with Montreal Steak Seasoning.
  3. Place on a hot grill and cook for about 5 minutes, until nicely seared on the bottom. Flip and cook until burger is cooked to desired temperature, another 4-5 minutes for medium, topping each with 1/2 ounce of horseradish cheddar during the last minute of cooking.
  4. Place onto a bun and top with condiments of choice.

Nutrition Facts

Calories

599.57

Fat (grams)

45.31 g

Sat. Fat (grams)

19.9 g

Carbs (grams)

8.67 g

Fiber (grams)

0.34 g

Net carbs

8.33 g

Sugar (grams)

1.21 g

Protein (grams)

37.32 g

Sodium (milligrams)

450.39 mg

Cholesterol (grams)

149.86 mg

5 comments:

  1. And now I am craving a burger! Before 8 in the morning. Thanks for joining me this month. I love that wine, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Classic, yummy pairing. Someone must think highly of you to gift you a Duckhorn. Love Frank's face in that shot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving this combination of wine and food Wendy. Burger and a nice wine is a classic "Hi-Lo" pairing that I also enjoy. In fact one of my faves was an In N Out cheese burger and fries with a nice sparkling rosé wine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just enjoyed my first in and out burger during this trip to CA Martin.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.