Tuesday, June 6, 2023

Food Americana Bagel Breakfast Sandwich #CooktheBooks

Toasted Bagel with a cream cheese schmear topped with eggs scrambled with onions and smoked salmon. Perfect for breakfast, brunch or brinner.

Bagel Sandwich
This recipe was inspired by one found in the fun food journey written by David Page, Food Americana that was chosen by Simona of Briciole as our Cook the Books selection for June/July.  Learn how to join in the fun over at the Guidelines page.

Food Americana

I listened to this book, narrated by Jonathon Yen while on my daily walks.  I felt like I was watching Diners, Dives and Driveins on Food Network only better because tv has nothing on my imagination. This is not surprising because David Page is the producer of that show starring Guy Fieri. 

The food descriptions were remarkable, the history interesting and the personalities of the people who brought and introduced the foods to America were charming.  The only problem with this book was that I came back from each walk starving and ate up all the calories I had just burned LOL.

It is a book of the history of foods that were brought here by immigrants and became Americanized to the foods we enjoy today.  Each chapter follows a different food from it's first appearance on our soil to the production of how it became wide spread American Food today.  A recipe is included at the end of each chapter.

Bagel pin


My recipe was taken from the chapter where we met Russ and Daughters who introduced bagels and lox to New York City.  I had everything on hand that I needed for this sandwich that I enjoyed for lunch after my morning walk.




Yield: 1 serving
Author: Wendy Klik
Smoked Salmon and Egg Breakfast Bagel

Smoked Salmon and Egg Breakfast Bagel

Inspired by the book Food Americana, this breakfast bagel celebrates the Bagels and Lox first introduced in New York City.
Prep time: 2 MinCook time: 10 MinTotal time: 12 Min

Ingredients

  • 1 bagel, toasted
  • 2 t. butter
  • 1 slice vidalia onion, diced
  • 4 oz. smoked salmon
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 T. cream cheese

Instructions

  1. Melt butter in small skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until fragrant and translucent.
  2. Add the smoked salmon and stir to combine.
  3. Pour the beaten eggs over all and season with salt and pepper. Stir continuously until egg are cooked to desired consistency.
  4. Spread the cream cheese onto both halves of the toasted bagel and top the bottom bagel with the egg mixture. Top with the remaining half and serve.

Nutrition Facts

Calories

674.2

Fat (grams)

28.06 g

Sat. Fat (grams)

12.1 g

Carbs (grams)

58.57 g

Fiber (grams)

2.54 g

Net carbs

56.02 g

Sugar (grams)

1.59 g

Protein (grams)

43.93 g

Sodium (milligrams)

1879.44 mg

Cholesterol (grams)

389.59 mg

8 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed the book, Wendy. I can imagine listening to all the stories about food while on a walk makes it hard to concentrate. Nice breakfast bagel! Thank you for contributing to this edition of Cooks the Books :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love breakfast sandwiches! This looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect recipe after your daily walks (and book listening)! Love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had me at smoked salmon -- yum!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.