Monday, June 5, 2023

Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich #Movies and Munchies

Thinly sliced ribeye steak grilled with onions, topped with Provolone cheese and stuffed into a toasted bun.  You will understand why the birthplace of this sandwich is called the City of Brotherly Love.

Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich

I was inspired to make this sandwich after watching Best in Show, our Movies and Munchies film this month.
Best in Show

This movie, circa 2000, was chosen by Amy of Amy's Cooking Adventures for our Movies and Munchies group that formed after our FoodnFlix Club dispersed.  

Each month one of the members chooses a film and we all watch and create a recipe inspired by the movie.  You need not be a blogger to join us.  You can share a photo of your movie inspired dish on Instagram and be included in our roundup at the end of the month.

It is still early so you have plenty of time to join in the fun if you would like.  Let me know if you would like to participate in the comment section of this post and I will send you an invitation to the event.

Philly Cheesesteak pin

I have mentioned in my posts before that I have no sense of humor when it comes to movies like Airplane, Young Frankenstein, Robin Hood (men in tights), etc.  I know that they are supposed to be funny...I get the jokes...I just don't think they are funny.  Chalk this movie up as being in that same category for me.  

I just think it is stupid.  Frank did laugh out loud a couple of times....but then, he loves that kind of stupid humor.  Add to the fact that not only is it not my kind of movie but it also had very little food in it and you will understand when I say that it is 90 minutes of my life that I will never get back LOL....

There was some food.   A meal of pot roast, a mention of school cafeteria food, popcorn, concourse food at the dog show, etc.  In the end, I got my inspiration by the fact that the announcers kept repeating that they were in the city of brotherly love.  Philladelphia is known for their Cheesesteak Sandwiches and I thought this would be something that would be served up in the concourse food stand.



Yield: 1 sandwich
Author: Wendy Klik
Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich

Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich

Thinly sliced ribeye steak grilled with onions, topped with Provolone cheese and stuffed into a toasted bun. You will understand why the birthplace of this sandwich is called the City of Brotherly Love.
Prep time: 5 MinCook time: 10 MinTotal time: 15 Min

Ingredients

  • 4 oz. thinly sliced ribeye steak
  • 2 slices Vidalia onion, diced
  • 2 slices Provolone cheese
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 t. canola oil
  • 1 hoagie roll
  • 1 t. butter

Instructions

  1. Butter the hoagie roll and place buttered side down on a hot griddle until toasted. Set aside.
  2. On the same griddle, cook the onions in the oil until golden brown and caramelized.
  3. Place the steak onto the griddle and season with salt and pepper, quickly sear the steak, flipping to brown both sides. Scrape the onions into the cooked steak and top with the provolone cheese.
  4. When cheese is melted scrape the mixture into the hoagie bun and serve.

Nutrition Facts

Calories

627.08

Fat (grams)

36.91 g

Sat. Fat (grams)

16.53 g

Carbs (grams)

35.44 g

Fiber (grams)

1.32 g

Net carbs

34.12 g

Sugar (grams)

5.95 g

Protein (grams)

38.21 g

Sodium (milligrams)

855.93 mg

Cholesterol (grams)

106.14 mg

2 comments:

  1. Sorry you didn't care for this film. I thought it was hilarious but I love snarky satire. Love the sandwiches and that was great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.