Have leftover beef from your Holiday dinners? Turn them into this amazing one skillet dinner. Pop open a bottle of Barolo wine and you have another guest worthy dinner to share.
Join the Italian Food Wine and Travel group as we visit Piedmont for the last of the 3 Big B's, Barolo.
Li of The Wining Hour is hosting this final event of the year. I started off the celebration of the Italian Big B's in October with Brunello and was followed in November by Robin of Crushed Grape Chronicles as we discovered Barbaresco.
This month we are sipping and exploring Barolo wines. Barolo wines are made with Nebbiolo grapes and are considered some of the finest Italian wines available. I was able to purchase a bottle from wine.com from Renato Ratti.
Renato Ratti is located up a hill that dominates the Barolo valley. It consists of 100 acres producing 150K bottles of wine using indigenous graps of the area since the 1960's.
I had made a New York Strip Loin Roast for our group of neighbors to celebrate one of their birthdays. I had some leftovers and decided to make this Beef and Mushroom pie. I sauteed up the aromatics and then added the mushrooms to the mix.
While I was cooking, Frank opened the bottle of wine to allow it to breathe. Barolo wine is best aged 10 years or more. This bottle was a 2017 vintage so it is best with some aeration.
I made the gravy and added the rarest cooked leftovers that I had at the very end, right before adding a sheet of puffed pastry to the top and putting it into the oven.
The pairing was exquisite. This meal was just as good, perhaps better, than the original featuring the roast.
We will be gathering tomorrow morning to talk about our Barolo wines on twitter chat at 11 AM ET. We would love if you would join in the conversation. You will find us by following #ItalianFWT. Here are some of the topics we will be discussing.......
- Barolo in His Blood: Aldo Clerico and Bagna Cauda by Gwendolyn, Wine Predator
- Beef and Mushroom Pie with a Renato Ratti Marcenasco Barolo 2017 by Wendy of A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Beef Pie and Barolo Wine by Terri of A Good Life
- Cascina Bongiovanni Pernanno Barolo con Bistecca Tagliata by Li at The Wining Hour
- Ending the Year with Barolo and a Revisit to Fratelli Revello by Jen at Vino Travels
- Family Favorites: Spaghetti Bolognese + Bruna Grimaldi Camilla Barolo 2016 by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Touring & Dining at Marchesi di Barolo by Nicole at the Somm's Table
- Visiting with An Old Friend, Barolo from Ciabot Berton by Susannah at Avvinare