Tuesday, November 16, 2021

French Potato Omelette and a Book Review

I just finished the second book in the Grape Series by Laura Bradbury.  This book is titled My Grape Quebec.  It continues the memoir of Laura as she returns to Canada after her time as an exchange student in France has come to an end.  

My Grape Quebec

Laura's boyfriend, Franck, is trying desperately to get a Canadian Visa to join her as she starts her second year of college in Montreal.  It takes quite a while but he finally is able to come and join her.  Her family is upset that they are going to live together outside of marriage and cut off Laura's financial help.  Franck is unable to get a job until his paperwork arrives from France and it is a slooooow process.  They end up in a terrible apartment ran by mobsters, with very little money.  

They are subsisting on tuna melts as they are affordable.  Life is looking very bleak and Franck, in an attempt to make Laura feel comforted makes her  a potato omelette.  

Things do get better for them and parts of this memoir had me laughing out loud so hard that it awoke my husband who was sleeping as I was reading in bed.

omelette

It inspired me to make a French Potato Omelette.  I added a couple of strips of bacon, because we are not poor.   I also added some French cheese that my sister in law, Roz, smuggled back for me from her trip to France last month and seasoned it with black sea salt that she also brought back for me from France.

Livarot Cheese

Livarot is a cow's milk cheese made by monks in Normandy.  It is very strong and pungent.  I loved it.  My Frank.....not so much.  And my niece, Jen......not at all.

I am writing this recipe without cheese added but feel free to add any cheese you like.  I used frozen diced potatoes but you can, of course, peel, dice and cook fresh potatoes or brown up some leftover potatoes for this recipe.  

I am sharing this post over at Foodies Read.  Stop by and see what the other Foodies are reading this month.  




Breakfast, Eggs, Potato, Omelet, Omelette
Breakfast
French
Yield: 1 serving
Author: Wendy Klik
French Potato Omelette

French Potato Omelette

Potatoes cooked to a golden brown enfolded in eggs, seasoned with sea salt and cracked black pepper. Pure comfort food.
Prep time: 2 MinCook time: 12 MinTotal time: 14 Min

Ingredients

  • 1/2 c. frozen diced potatoes
  • 2 t. olive oil
  • 1 t. butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 t. cold water
  • sea salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste

Instructions

  1. Heat olive oil in small skillet over med high heat. Add the potatoes in a single layer, season with sea salt and cracked pepper and cook for about 5 minutes, until golden brown. Flip and cook about 3 minutes longer until second side is golden brown. Remove to a bowl and set aside.
  2. Melt the butter in the same skillet. Whisk together the eggs and water, season with sea salt and cracked pepper. Add to the skillet and mix with a fork while cooking, until the eggs are nearly cooked through, Flip the omellete, remove from heat and cook just until set.
  3. Place the omelette onto a plate, add the potatoes down the center and gently roll to enfold the potatoes inside the omelette.

Nutrition Facts

Calories

339.44

Fat (grams)

22.53

Sat. Fat (grams)

6.86

Carbs (grams)

19.74

Fiber (grams)

2.41

Net carbs

17.33

Sugar (grams)

1.36

Protein (grams)

14.92

Sodium (milligrams)

762.93

Cholesterol (grams)

382.17

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.