Sunday, October 25, 2020

Classic Glorified Chicken #OurFamilyTable

 This dish immediately transported me back to my childhood.  It is easy and delicious. Chicken pieces, drizzled in butter and baked, topped with cream of mushroom soup and baked a little longer until you have tender, juicy chicken and a wonderful gravy for your mashed potatoes.

Classic Glorified Chicken

We are sharing Vintage Recipes today over with the From Our Dinner Table Group......

from our dinner table logo

Vintage Recipes


We share Recipes From Our Dinner Table! Join our group and share your recipes, too! While you're at it, join our Pinterest board, too!

I was the 5th out of 6 children.  My eldest brother was 17 when I was born and I was 6 when my sister, the last child, was born.  My mom spent her entire life raising children.  She loved children and when she went to work outside of the home, she drove a school bus and still spent all her time with children.

cookbook

I was born in 1958 and my mother was fully immersed and happy to be part of the convenience food brigade.  Most of our meals were casseroles using recipes from the back of soup labels.  We also had our fair share of frozen entrees.  Our potatoes came out of a box and our vegetables came from a can.  

My mother hadn't always cooked this way.  My brothers have a much different memory of the dinners she made.  So when I think of vintage recipes I think back to those meals and I grab my copy of Back of the Box Gourmet.  

I have made a lot of fun recipes with this cookbook including Mayonnaise Cake, Tomato Soup Cake, and Key Lime Pie.

This time I wanted to make something savory so I opened the book to the Suppers: Sunday Comfort All Week Long section.  When I saw this recipe for Glorified Chicken I was immediately transported back to my childhood.  

Classic Glorified Chicken pin


The recipe calls for Cream of Chicken soup but my Mom always used Cream of Mushroom so I did as well.  I served it up with mashed potatoes (not from a box) and maple glazed delicata squash.  It was a delicious comforting meal.  





Entrees, Chicken, Easy, Back of the Box
Entrees, Chicken
American
Yield: 4 servings
Author: Wendy Klik
Print
Glorified Chicken

Glorified Chicken

This dish immediately transported me back to my childhood. It is easy and delicious. Chicken pieces, drizzled in butter and baked, topped with cream of mushroom soup and baked a little longer until you have tender, juicy chicken and a wonderful gravy for your mashed potatoes.
Prep time: 10 MinCook time: 1 HourTotal time: 1 H & 10 M

Ingredients

  • 1 (3-4 lb) chicken, cut up or pkg of 8 chicken pieces
  • 2 T. butter, melted
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1 (10 oz) can Cream of Mushroom Soup

Instructions

  1. Place the chicken pieces in a baking dish, skin side up.  Season with salt and pepper, drizzle with the butter and bake in a preheated 375* oven for 40 minutes. 
  2. Remove chicken from oven and top pieces with dollops of the soup.  Return to the oven and bake for another 20 minutes, until chicken is fork tender. Remove the chicken to a serving bowl or platter. Whisk the sauce and pour over the chicken pieces before serving.

Notes:

Adapted from a recipe found in Back of the Box Gourmet

Calories

217.74

Fat (grams)

15.38

Sat. Fat (grams)

5.95

Carbs (grams)

5.24

Fiber (grams)

0.55

Net carbs

4.69

Sugar (grams)

0.31

Protein (grams)

14.24

Sodium (milligrams)

689.15

Cholesterol (grams)

71.01
Created using The Recipes Generator

20 comments:

  1. I've never heard of it but it soundss like an easy weekend meal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had plenty of meals with meat baked in cream of mushroom or celery soup! Great memories! Love the story about your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cream of mushroom soup (and chicken and celery)....good for any type of casserole. I have some fond taste memories from my childhood of these, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mother in law still has cans of "cream of" soup for casseroles and sauces like this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI, Yes, cream of chicken, cream of mushroom and cream of celery. On Fridays when we did not eat meat, we had tuna casserole, made with cream of celery soup, a can of peas, rice and tuna from a can. I loved the meal. It was so much tastier than meatless spaghetti and fish sticks, lol
    - Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We too would have that casserole but with noodles instead of rice.

      Delete
  6. That's how we always had pork chops growing up - creamy comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So comforting! I would have to have my mashed potatoes with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never heard of this dish, but you can bet I'll be making it. Loved your story too. We ate a lot of boxed foods and casseroles growing up too

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like my mom had a similar cooking style to yours! Of course she had dinner for 7 kids to manage, so I can't fault her taking shortcuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there were 6 kids in our family so they absolutely needed shortcuts.

      Delete
  10. For some reason my mother didn’t use canned soup or packaged foods in her recipes, though she did use canned vegetables often. I never heard of tuna noodle casseroles until I was working with several women who did a lot the cooking that was popular then. I never really got into the cream of canned soup habit, though, I tend to just make my own white sauce.

    be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure this would be even better with homemade white sauce Mae.

      Delete
  11. I'm about the same age but we never had this--looks so good! I know what you mean about the convenience food era! What would our moms have done without cream of mushroom soup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's for sure Inger. And now that they are making it healthier with less sodium it is a good option for us as well

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.