I remembered a recipe I had seen for black bean brownies and was considering something like that and then I came across a recipe for Chocolate Beet Cake from Nordicware. I had a memorial get together for my cousin's wife to attend and wanted to bring a dessert. This was the perfect answer and I had all the ingredients on hand.
It goes into the pan this beautiful magenta.
It bakes decadent and dark.
Let it cool completely on a rack.
Place onto a serving plate and sprinkle liberally with powdered sugar.
It traveled very well.
I set it on the buffet and cut some into slices.
It was moist and had a very tender crumb.
No one would ever be able to tell that it contained beets.
Chocolate Beet Cake
adapted from Nordicware
2/3 c. chocolate chips
1 c. butter, divided
1 1/2 c. brown sugar, packed
2 c. pureed beets
1 t. vanilla
2 c. flour
2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
Melt the chocolate and 1/4 c.butter over low heat in a small saucepan, set aside. In large bowl of stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, cream remaining butter with the sugar. Add the eggs, one at a time until fully incorporated. Add the flour, baking soda and salt, mixing completely. Turn the speed to medium low and stir in the pureed beets, chocolate mixture and vanilla. Blend thoroughly and then turn into a bundt pan that has been treated liberally with baking spray. Bake in a preheated 375* oven for 45-55 minutes, or until a skewer inserted removes cleanly. Let cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes. Turn the bundt cake out of the pan onto the rack and let cool completely before placing on a serving platter and sprinkling liberally with powdered sugar. Print Recipe
More Healthy Cheats
- Almond Bundtlettes by Bea and Mara at I Love Bundt Cakes
- Avocado Mini Bundts by Kelly at Passion Kneaded
- Black Forest Tomato Bundt Cake by Shilpi at Simplyveggies
- Choco-flower Apple Bundt Cake by Lauren at Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Chocolate Beet Bundt Cake by Wendy at A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Easy Orange Bundt Cake by Nichole at Cookaholic Wife
- Fall Fruits Bundt Cake by Rebekah at Making Miracles
- Flourless Chocolate Bundt Cake by Colleen at Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Secret Spice Yoghurt Cake by Jane at Jane's Adventure in Dinner
- Tunnel of Fudge Cake by Bee at The Queen of Scones
- Vanilla Bean Malt Bundt Cake by Felice at All That's Left Are The Crumbs
- Whole Wheat Banana Bundt Cake byAnshie>at Spiceroots
#BundtBakers is a group of Bundt loving bakers who get together once a month to bake Bundts with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on the BundtBakers home page.