Friday, July 4, 2014

Happy 4th of July


Happy Independence Day to all of my readers from the USA.  Happy July 4th to all my readers from other countries, thank you for joining us in our celebration.

We had a quiet day and celebration.  We were up early and got to work on the upstairs bedrooms, prepping them for their makeovers.  Tamie arrived to clean the house while Frank and I went to visit Mom and hit the grocery store.  When we came back, I asked Tamie what plans she had for the rest of the day and she said that the kids were with their dad and her boyfriend was working so we asked her to come back and join us for dinner tonight.  We talked to Frank's sister Roz, who told us her husband was sleeping and trying to fight off a cold so we invited Roz and Mom Klik to join us for dinner.  Tony had to work today too so we knew that Ting would be joining us also.

I took a look at the Weekly Menu and decided to add a bit to our dinner tonight to accommodate our guests.  I added some baked beans and a Strawberry Spinach Salad that is always a big hit. This salad recipe comes from a cookbook that was made as a fundraiser for our kids elementary school.  All the parents sent in a couple of their favorite recipes and they were all included in the cookbook that was called Cooking with the Best; St Anne Catholic Community, Warren Mi, 1945-1995.  I have been making this recipe since buying this cookbook nearly 20 years ago.  It is one of our family favorites.  I hope you enjoy it as well.  The original recipe from which I adapted my version was submitted by Sandy Wiebelhaus.  Sandy if you are reading this I would like to thank you for many years of great salads.



Strawberry/Spinach Salad
adapted from Cooking with the Best, Sandy Wiebelhaus

1 bag baby spinach
1 qt. strawberries

Dressing:
1/2 c. sugar
2 T. black sesame seeds
1 T. poppy seeds
1/4 t. Worcestershire Sauce
1/4 t. paprika
1/4 c. white vinegar
1/2 c. extra virgin olive oil
2 scallions, finely chopped

Place all items for dressing into a sealed jar and shake vigorously until well blended, set aside.

Wash and spin dry spinach, place in large bowl.  Husk and quarter strawberries, add to spinach.

Pour dressing over spinach and strawberries.  Toss well and serve.

Print Recipe

2 comments:

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.