Sunday, March 26, 2017

Citrus Marinated Chicken Thighs for #SundaySupper

Sunday Supper is being hosted by Lisa, of Jersey Girl Cooks , this week.  Please stop by her great blog and show her some appreciation for all her hard work.


Our theme this week is Citrus Recipes That Make You Smile.  I can't think of a citrus recipe that doesn't make me smile. Citrus Salad, Mandarin Orange Yakisoba Salad, Citrus Beef Skewers, Chicken Breasts in Lemon Sage Sauce, Orange Chicken, Lemon and Rosemary Pork Tenderloin, Grilled Mahi Mahi with Citrus Marinade, Spicy Citrus Shrimp, Orange Coffee Cake, Pasta with Lemon and Basil. Smiling yet?  And this doesn't even list all of the wonderful desserts made with citrus fruits.  I had to stop or we would never have time for today's recipe which is sure to keep that smile on your face.


This recipe is healthy, using organic, pure and whole ingredients.  It is nearly FMD friendly for Phase 1 except for the addition of olive oil in the marinating liquid. It is quick and easy.  Even with the marinating time you will have dinner on the table in less than an hour.


Line the baking pan with aluminum foil to cut down on the amount of clean up afterwards.  There are much better things to do after dinner than an hour of dishes.  Like maybe having a Michigan Cherry Lemonade and watching a good movie.


These chicken thighs were moist and juicy with a bright citrusy flavor.  I served them up with steamed brown rice and lightly steamed asparagus that still had a bit of crunch to it.  It was an awesome dinner and one that I am sure your family will love as much as mine did.


You will find many more Citrus Recipes to Make You Smile following this recipe.  Make sure you stop by and visit the rest of the Sunday Supper Family.

Citrus Marinated Chicken Thighs
adapted from Bon Apetit

1 bunch scallions, white and light green parts, thinly sliced
1/2 bunch cilantro leaves and tender stems
2 garlic cloves, crushed
zest and juice of 1/2 a lemon
zest and juice of 1 orange
1/4 c. coco aminos
2 T. olive oil
1 T. kosher salt
pinch of red pepper
2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs

Set aside some of the scallions for garnish.

Place the remaining scallions, cilantro, garlic, lemon zest and juice, orange zest and juice, coco aminos, olive oil, salt and red pepper flakes in a heavy duty blender or food processor.  Pulse to a coarse puree. 

Wash the chicken and place into a plastic bag that seals.  Reserve 1/4 c. of the pureed mixture and pour the remainder over the chicken.  Seal the bag and turn to coat the chicken.  Chill for 20 minutes or up to 2 hours.

Remove the chicken from the marinade and place onto a foil lined baking sheets.  Discard marinade left in bag.  Bake in a preheated 350* oven for 25-35 minutes, until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thickest thigh shows 165*.  Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes. Arrange the thighs on a platter, drizzle with the reserved citrus marinade and sprinkle with the reserved scallions.  Print Recipe

Sunday Supper Citrus Recipes That Will Make You Smile

Sunday Supper MovementJoin the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.



23 comments:

  1. I'm with you. For some reason citrus recipes always make me smile. I love how bright and fresh they are. Another thing I love is chicken thighs. What a great combo. I'm looking forward to trying this recipe. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy this as much as we did. Please let me know.

      Delete
  2. I love your marinade for this chicken! I bet chicken seasoned this way will also be great on the grill! I will definitely be giving this a try soon. Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure this marinade would be perfect on grilled chicken.

      Delete
  3. I never eat chicken, but I think the marinade sounds wonderful on fish or beef or lamb. I love new ways of bringing lots of flavor to my food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah....this marinade could even be used as a salad dressing.

      Delete
  4. Citrus recipes make me smile too! Sounds like such a flavorful marinade. Right up our alley!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your chicken looks perfectly moist and delicious, love the marinade.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love anything citrus. I can't wait to try this chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a huge fan of marinating! Your citrus marinade looks perfect for chicken!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a big fan of chicken thighs and love that you marinaded them in citrus in this recipe. What a great meal!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great way to enhance the flavor of chicken =) Love that you use organic ingredients =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, I do my best to use organic and/or local ingredients whenever possible.

      Delete
  10. This dish looks great. I much prefer chicken thighs to breasts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We like both in this household depending on the method of cooking.

      Delete
  11. Lots of chicken is eaten in our house and I'm always looking for something new! Thanks for this! Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love chicken thighs and the thought of citrus on them makes me so hungry. Must try your recipe. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.