Asparagus is one of my all time favorite veggies. We eat it at least once or twice a week while it is in season. Frank is not as huge a fan as I. He will eat a few stalks but the rest? Mine, all mine....I live in Asparagus heaven during the Spring.
I got the idea for this recipe from the cookbook by Kurt Beecher Dammier called Pure Food. I adapted pretty much the entire recipe but wanted to acknowledge him as I wouldn't have thought to make this salad without drooling over the photo of his while thumbing through the cookbook.
I used a base of baby spinach to showcase the shaved asparagus. Leaving the asparagus raw lends a touch of sweetness to the salad that is a pleasant surprise. The carrot lends a touch of color and Macadamia nuts add richness and crunch.
This salad is perfect for your Easter Brunch or Dinner.
Shaved Asparagus Salad
inspired by Pure Food
2 T. extra virgin olive oil
2 T. Sicilian Lemon White Balsamic Vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 lbs. asparagus
2 c. baby spinach leaves
2 green onions, white and light greens
1 small carrot, peeled
1 oz. Macadamia nuts, coarsely chopped
Place the olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper in a small jar with a lid. Shake vigorously to combine.
Snap off the tough end of the asparagus and discard. Hold the asparagus by the tips and, using a peeler, shave into long strips. Reserve the tips.
Slice the green onions in half lengthwise and roughly chop. Using the peeler shave the carrot into strips.
Place the spinach, asparagus, carrot, green onions and nuts into a large bowl. Pour the dressing over the greens and toss to coat. Arrange on a platter and serve. Print Recipe
More Healthy Spring Recipes
Cakes, Pies, and Sweets
- Coconut Custard Pie by Renee's Kitchen Adventures
- Fresh Strawberry Meringue Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Mango Banana Bread by Asian in America
- Meyer Lemon Panna Cotta by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Upside Down Brown Sugar Apricot Cake by The Bitter Side of Sweet
Cookies and Bars
- Carrot Cake Oatmeal Cookies by Pies and Plots
- Coconut Mango Chia Pudding Parfait by The Crumby Cupcake
- Maple Syrup Madeleines by The Finer Cookie
- Oatmeal Rhubarb Bars by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Pistachio Lemon Bars by From the Bookshelf
- Creamy and Tangy Avocado Chicken Salad by Cooking On The Ranch
- Grilled Lamb Lollipops with a Lemon and Pea Dip by Sprinkles and Sprouts
- Lemon Quinoa Salad with Asparagus and Tomatoes by Hardly a Goddess
- Pad Thai Spring Rolls by Brunch-n-Bites
- Parmesan Crusted Pork Tenderloin by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Spring Pizza with Goat Cheese & Asparagus by Wholistic Woman
- Spring Power Bowl by Simple and Savory
- Crab and Asparagus Pasta by My Savory Spoon.com
- Lemon Garlic Shrimp and Asparagus Rotini Pasta by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Pasta Salad with Artichoke Hearts & Feta by Soulfully Made
- Simple Pasta with Peas, Ham and Cream by Cooking With Carlee
- Spinach Artichoke Pasta Recipe by Life Tastes Good
- Baked Swordfish and Asparagus with Lentils and Chermoula by Caroline’s Cooking
- Flaked Salmon Arugula Spinach Watercress Salad by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Prosciutto-Wrapped Salmon with Brie by Books n’ Cooks
- Red Snapper in a Saffron-Tomato Broth with Artichoke Hearts & Potatoes by Gourmet Everyday
- Roasted Shrimp and Asparagus Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette by Jersey Girl Cooks
- Salmon with Parsley Pesto and Peas by Cooking Chat
Veggies and Sides
- Alfredo Scalloped Potatoes with Ham by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Asparagus Ham and Swiss Danish Braid by Crazed Mom
- Asparagus Soup by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Cheesy Potato Asparagus Tart by Sunday Supper Movement
- Herbed Lemon Potato Salad by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Microwave Carrots and Peas by Cricket’s Confections
- Roasted Spring Vegetables by Food Lust People Love
- Shaved Asparagus Salad by A Day in the Life on the Farm