It just so happens that February 25th was our first night having dinner during our dive vacation in Dominica. We had actually arrived late evening the night before but it followed a full day of travel and we were given a BBQ and Rum Punches upon our arrival.
We had gotten up and had two wonderful dives in the morning and then just kind of lounged around recuperating until dinner time. When we went up to dinner we requested the wine list. It was a short list but it did have a white bordeaux that I wanted to try. However, it was listed at nearly $200 and I didn't want to blow my travel budget on the first night. The only reasonable bottles were Beringer wines at $55, which I still thought was outrageous. I did want to partake in OTBN though so we ordered up a bottle of Beringer Chardonnay to pair with our dinner.
It wasn't until the next day that we realized the prices were in EC dollars. The bottle of Beringer was actually around $20 US LOL. I blame jet lag. The good news is that it was a very nice $20 bottle of wine and it paired very well with the Lion Fish that I enjoyed and the Mahi Mahi that Frank had. I never did get a chance to order up that white Bordeaux though.....sigh.......
We drink Beringer wines at home as an everyday wine so it isn't really what I would have chosen for OTBN had I been home in front of my wine fridge but it was still a special bottle since it was part of a wonderful dinner and vacation.
I am very excited to see what bottles the others chose to open. I am sure to find some bottles to put onto my wish list. C'mon you can come with me to the other links.
Open That Bottle Night Pairings from #winePW bloggers
- Wendy from A Day in the Life on the Farm will post How #OTBN happens while on vacation in Dominica
- Jen from Vino Travels will share Baked sausage rigatoni with Vignavecchia Chianti Classico Riserva
- Sue from A Palatable Pastime is pairing Pork Carnitas with Saint Cosme Cotes-Du-Rhone
- Michelle from Rockin Red Blog is writing about South of the Border for Open That Bottle Night
- Cindy from Grape Experiences is posting Wine and Dine: Two New Zealand Pinot Noirs and One-Pan Chicken
- Camilla from Culinary Adventures with Camilla is pairing Red Wine Chorizo + 1994 Argyle Reserve Oregon Pinot Noir
- Nancy from Pull That Cork will post Our OTBN Celebration: The Château Léoville-Las Cases Stole the Show
- Lori from Dracaena Wines is sharing Wine is in Boxes. It's OTBN. Still turned out to be a night not to miss
- Martin from ENOFYLZ Wine Blog will post Batting A Thousand for OTBN Vol 8- A Celebration With Friends
- Jill from L'occasion is opening A Gigondas from the Cellar
- Julie from Wine-N-Friends will share A memorable pairing with 2012 Kenzo Murasaki
- Gwendolyn from Wine Predator is posting Cheers to Open That Bottle Night 2017 with Champagne from Bollinger
- David from Cooking Chat is posting Chanterelle Beef Stew with a Special Wine
No blog post about #OTBN, no worries! You can still join the conversation about Open That Bottle Night Pairings by joining our live Twitter Chat on Saturday, March 11. Simply tune into the #winePW hashtag on Twitter at 11 a.m. ET / 8 a.m. PT on 3/11 and join the conversation. Please also make plans to join us for the April Wine Pairing Weekend event, when I will be hosting on the topic of “My Old Standby” on April 8. You can get a list of all the past and upcoming #winePW events by visiting the Wine Pairing Weekend page.