Monday, July 21, 2014

Is it still Monday?

Whew...it is only 7:30 at night and we have completed 3 days worth of chores and running around.  I am very happy to finally be sitting in my chair with my feet up on the ottoman and an icy cold glass of water on the end table.

I had a rough night last night, I awoke at 3 with a bad stomach.  I finally fell back to sleep around 6 and slept until 9:30  I got up and got right to work because, in case you haven't heard, I AM HAVING A BABY SHOWER IN 5 DAYS!!

I am sure that you are all sick to death of hearing about my gardens but I just have to tell you this.....Spence and I went and bought 30 bags of mulch on Friday.  That is a lot of mulch to load and unload into a truck.  It is a lot of mulch to spread in you gardens.  Your back aches, sweat runs into your eyes, your knees hurt, you get dirty and stinky.  It sucks!!  Do you want to know how much 30 bags is in this yard???


It filled this garden.


And this garden.
Except for the area that contained a ground hornet nest.
They did not wish to be disturbed by the mulch.
I always show great respect to things that can cause me pain!!


And this garden.
And a tiny bit of the area by my pig.
That is 3 gardens out of 10.
I probably need another 80 bags of mulch.
I have no idea what I was thinking when I put in all of these gardens.
And that is with us taking out the gardens around the gazebo this year.
I don't think all the gardens are getting completed by the shower.

After having all that fun....I fell into the pool, unheated pool....because the part will not be here until Wednesday.  Just the fact that I would stick a toe into an unheated pool gives you some idea how hot, sticky and miserable I was.  While I allowed myself to air dry. Spence went for a little spin on the 4 wheeler as a reward for all of his wonderful help.


Isn't he a handsome guy!!

Frank got home and we started cleaning out the garage.  It is good for us to have parties every once in a while so that we are motivated to do these chores that we hate.  This is what we had to deal with when we started.

Yes this is the third stall in our garage.
There is a motorcycle parked there somewhere.


Pretty overwhelming, isn't it?


We weren't sure where to even start.  So we just started pulling stuff out and putting it in the driveway.
We sorted it as we went into piles according to where they needed to go.  The piles were trash, donation, back in the garage, put away elsewhere.  As we were working on this, Tingting came over (God bless her) and needed me to go shopping with her for shower stuff.  So we left Frank to finish up the garage and we went to the dollar store, stopped to see Mom, another dollar store, Joann's, Bed, Bath and Beyond, Party City and Krogers.  When we got back, Ting was exhausted and promptly fell asleep.


Frank got quite a bit done in the garage.


It still needs some work but at least now we can walk through it without feeling like we are in an obstacle course.  Frank finally called it quits and hopped in the shower and I started dinner.  

My original meal on the Weekly Menu was Pasta with Spinach Pesto, Corn and Beans that I had found in Cuisine at Home, Issue #46.  But when I went to make it and looked in my larder I changed out Chard for the Spinach, Peas for the Beans, Bowtie Pasta for the Pappardelle, Red Wine Vinegar for the White Wine Vinegar and Mozzarella Cheese for the Ricotta Cheese.  I also followed my own recipe for the pesto using half Swiss Chard and half Basil.  That is the wonderful thing about recipes....they are merely a guideline and an idea giver and then you do whatever you want to make it your own.  My nephew, Jake, had stopped by and joined us for dinner.  He wasn't so sure about this meal when he sat down but he ended up loving it....we all did....and I think you and your family will too.



I shredded fresh Mozzarella Cheese so that it would melt evenly when mixed with the hot pasta and vegetables.


I cooked the pasta according to package directions adding the peas and corn when there was 7 minutes of cooking time remaining.


While the pasta and vegetables were cooking I diced up and dressed the tomatoes.


A perfect Meatless Monday dinner using seasonal and local vegetables.

Pasta with Swiss Chard Pesto, Corn and Peas
inspired by Cuisine at Home, Issue #46

1 bunch Swiss Chard, leaves only, chopped
1 bunch basil, leaves only
1/2 c. pine nuts
3 cloves garlic
Olive Oil
Lemon zest and juice from 1/4 of a lemon
salt and pepper to taste
1 lb. Bowtie Pasta
1 c. grated fresh Mozzarella cheese
Kernels from 2 large ears of corn
1 c.  fresh peas, shelled
1/2 c. shredded Parmesan Cheese
3 small tomatoes, diced
1 T. red wine vinegar
1 T. olive oil

Place Chard leaves, Basil leaves, pine nuts, garlic, salt and pepper to taste, lemon zest and lemon juice into a food processor and pulse until finely chopped.  With processor running drizzle in the olive oil until desired consistency.  For this dish I chose to make it a paste-like consistency. Set aside.  The lemon juice will keep the pesto vibrant.

Cook pasta according to package directions.  When there is approx. 7 minutes of cooking time remaining add the peas and corn to the cooking water and allow to cook with the pasta.  While the pasta and vegetables cook.  Grate fresh Mozzarella Cheese into the bottom of your serving dish.

Place diced tomatoes in a bowl, add the vinegar and oil, season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.

When Pasta and Vegetables are cooked, drain and immediately pour on top of Mozzarella Cheese.  Add the Pesto and toss all ingredients until coated with pesto and cheese.  Sprinkle with Parmesan and top with the tomato salad.   Print Recipe

Now it is my turn to get into the shower and call it a night.  I hope you all had a wonderful and productive Monday as well.  And even though this is only Monday, I think I will link up with Wednesday Whatsits...stop by and see what others have been up to.

4 comments:

  1. My husband is convinced I host some kind of get-together at least twice a year so I get the entire family to clean things!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you are feeling better very soon! And, no, I never get tired of reading about what you are up to. I'm just not always commenting but I'm reading! Here's to a very Happy Baby Shower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zippi, I am all better. Not sure what caused my stomach issues but they seem to have all passed (pun intended) LOL

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.