Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Trying Tuesday

Today has not been too trying for me but it has definitely been a trying day for Frank.  He came down with one heck of a cold last night.  He was sneezing and coughing and blowing all night long even after taking Nyquil.

Then he got up this morning and plow out the driveway so he could get out and go to work.  I suggested that he call in sick and we could have our cousin, Dave, come and plow us out but he had meetings scheduled that he could not miss.  While he was plowing I was going to run up to the store so, after his first swipe, I figured there was enough room for my car to get out.  As I was driving down the hill I hit ice and slid off the drive into the snow which was so high I couldn't get the door open all the way.  So then Frank had to get off the tractor, lay down in the snow to hook a chain to the car and pull me out.  He did all this without once saying a cross word to me...I cannot believe how lucky I am to have such a tremendous husband!!!

We were supposed to go to Dick and Jackie's for dinner tonight but I just talked to Frank on the phone and he sounds terrible so I canceled our plans and have put a chicken on to cook for soup.  I will make a fresh loaf of bread to go with the soup and after dinner tuck him onto the couch with a hot toddy.  Then while he has his drink I will rub his feet with Vick's Vaporub.  I don't really think that does anything for the cold but he does and heck, a foot massage always makes you feel better.

You can find my Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe here.  It is guaranteed to fix whatever ails you.  You will find the bread recipe below.

Italian Bread

1 T. sugar
2 t. salt
2 pkgs. active dry yeast
1 3/4 c. warm water, about 110*
1 T. butter, softened
4-6 c. bread flour (I was out so I used all purpose today)

Place sugar, salt, yeast, water and butter in large bowl of stand mixer.  Using dough hook attachment, combine these ingredients and then gradually start adding the flour.  Continue adding the flour 1 c. at a time until it becomes shaggy looking.  Then add flour a half cup at a time until it combines into a ball, becomes elastic and loses it's stickiness. Remove dough and knead it by hand for a few moments making it into a ball. Spray the mixing bowl that you use with olive oil and place the bread back into the bowl, rolling it over and around so that it is covered with olive oil.  Cover with a clean damp kitchen towel and place it in a warm place to rise for 30-45 minutes.  Once the dough has risen, place it on a floured surface and divide it into equal parts. Roll the dough into two rectangles, then roll the rectangles into loafs, tucking under the ends and pressing the seams together at the bottom.  Place them on a baking sheet, that has been sprayed with olive oil and sprinkled with cornmeal, seam side down.
Turn the oven to 425* and allow to preheat as you cover the loaves with the redampened towel and allow to rise for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, slice 3 or 4 deep, diagonal lines into the loaves and bake for 20 minutes.  Print Recipe


Spray the mixing bowl that you use with olive oil and place the bread back into the bowl, rolling it over and around so that it is covered with olive oil.


Cover with a clean damp kitchen towel and place it in a warm place to rise for 30-45 minutes.  I place mine on my warming shelf with the heat lamps on and the bowl placed in between them.


The dough will rise quite a bit but will fall when you take it out of the bowl.


Place it on a floured surface and divide it into equal parts.


Spray a baking pan with olive oil and sprinkle it with cornmeal to prevent sticking.


Roll the dough into two rectangles (or there abouts) as you can see this is not an exact science.


Then roll the rectangles into loafs, tucking under the ends and pressing the seams together at the bottom.  Place them on the prepared cookie sheet seam side down. 


Turn the oven to 425* and allow to preheat as you cover the loaves with the redampened towel and allow to rise for 20 minutes.  I put them back on the heat rack with the heat lamps turned off.


When they are done with the second rising, slice the loaves 3 or 4 times diagonally and place in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until brown and hollow sounding when you tap on it.



Taking care of each other is one of the ways we Thrive at Home.  Stop in on Thursday and find other ways to Thrive at Home.






2 comments:

  1. Ah poor Frank. I hope he feels better really soon. My mom believed in rubbing Vick's Vapor Rub on our feet, and I did it for my kids. Did you know it is good for toenail fungus too. Sorry you are still having so much snow. We got up to 70* here today. But winter is returning by the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is supposed to warm up here too but only into the 40's. Unfortunately I am afraid all that will do is melt stuff enough to create ice rinks on the roads when it freezes again.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.