Sunday, August 2, 2026

Sufferin' Succotash it's the Weekly Menu #SundayFunday

 Corn season has arrived in Michigan.  My husband is ecstatic, and I am here, once again, trying to think of applications for this vegetable that he insists on eating Every. Single. Day.  it is in season.

Succotash

I decided to ask the other Sunday Funday Bloggers to get corny with me so I could have some new ideas for this season.
sunday funday logo
In fact, the recipe for Summer Succotash that I decided to share with you today is adapted from one I found on the blog belonging to one of our members, Karen of Karen's Kitchen Stories

Let's see what Corny Recipes are being shared today........


Succotash pin

This salad can be served warm, room temperature, or chilled.  It is perfect for potlucks or picnics. I served it for dinner one night along with BBQ ribs and then served the leftovers with burgers when Frank had his CPL class yesterday.

Today, we are going to see Footloose at our local Thumbcoast Theater with the Bonacorsis and Luths.  We will be having dinner out after the show.

Nothing scheduled for the rest of the week.  Wednesday, I am meeting Rebecca for lunch, and Friday we are going on the Detroit Princess River Cruise for Lunch and a Motown Revue.  Most of the week will be spent getting ready for Jessica's and Julien's baby shower on Saturday.

Here is what's on the menu for the first week of August.

Meatless Monday
Mushroom, Spinach and Swiss Quiche

Taco Tuesday
Sloppy Joe Quesadillas

Wok Wednesday
Pork Chop Suey

Thursday
Grilled Steaks
Sweet Corn Risotto

Fish Friday
Fiskesuppe
Potato Feta Swirls


Vegetables, Corn, Zucchini, Salads
Salads, Vegetables
American
Yield: 8 servings
Author: Wendy Klik
Summer Succotash Salad

Summer Succotash Salad

This salad can be served warm, room temperature, or chilled. It is perfect for potlucks or picnics. 

Prep time: 10 MinCook time: 5 MinTotal time: 15 Min

Ingredients

  • 3 T. butter
  • 1 zucchini, diced
  • 1 bell pepper, diced
  • kernels from 4 ears of sweet corn
  • 1 c. frozen baby lima beans, thawed
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
  • juice of half a lemon
  • handful of fresh basil leaves, chopped

Instructions

  1. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the zucchini, bell pepper, lima beans and corn. Season with salt and pepper and cook for a few minutes, stirring frequently until vegetables are crisp-tender.
  2. Transfer to a bowl and allow to cool slightly. Squeeze the lemon juice over and stir in the tomatoes and basil. Can be served immediately or held at room temperature until ready to serve. Refrigerate any leftovers.

Notes

Adapted from a recipe found at Karen's Kitchen Stories

Nutrition Facts

Calories

124

Fat (grams)

5 g

Sat. Fat (grams)

3 g

Carbs (grams)

18 g

Fiber (grams)

3 g

Net carbs

15 g

Sugar (grams)

6 g

Protein (grams)

4 g

Sodium (milligrams)

85 mg

Cholesterol (grams)

11 mg

12 comments:

  1. Your succotash looks marvelous, Wendy! Also, it's such a fun word to say!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my most popular recipes! Don’t you love how easy this is? I love your addition of the basil. How funny that Frank is such a huge fan of corn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like corn too but not every single day LOL.....And then he wants me to make corn chowder for the freezer so he can enjoy it during off season. I can see why it is so popular. We had it for dinner when we had friends over and then again yesterday for lunch with burgers for his CPL class. Everyone loved it. Thanks, Karen.

      Delete
  3. I don't know if I have ever made succotash, but now I must try it! It looks like the perfect Summer side dish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is delicious. You may have made it as Three Sisters, a native american dish.

      Delete
  4. I just adore a salad that can be served cold, warm, or at room temperature. NO FUSS = HAPPY COLLEEN!!! Hope you enjoy Footloose!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Footloose was very fun, Colleen. They did a great job with it.

      Delete
  5. Like the addition of lima beans in this salad. Wouldn't mind having this salad everyday till the corn season lasts. I'm like your husband, want to enjoy corn everyday when in season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a good choice, it lasts for days in the refrigerator and tastes just as good each time.

      Delete
  6. This is a delicious salad, it makes an easy side dish!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.