Thursday, March 17, 2022

Domaine de Marcoux Lirac La Lorentine to Celebrate Women's History Month #Winophiles

This  bottle of Lirac wine comes from a 20 acre Châteauneuf du Pape vineyard that is ran by sisters, Catherine Armenier and Sophie Estevenin, whose family has been tending vines in the area since the 1300's.

Lirac wine

The Winophiles are celebrating Women's History Month.......
Gwendolyn of Wine Predator is hosting and invited us to join her in honoring France's Women in Wine. Gwendolyn also arranged, for those of us who wished,  to receive an ebook copy of Champagne Widows by Rebecca Rosenberg.

Champagne Widows

I have started this novel and I am enjoying it very much.  I will be sharing my review with you as soon as I have finished it.

The novel takes place in the 1700's when women really had no rights but were left in charge of the vineyards and winemaking when the men were all conscripted into Napoleon's war.  Perfect for this month when we are honoring the resilience and tenacity of women.

Lirac with a Dingle Pie

While researching France's women in wine I was impressed to learn that the Armenier sisters were the very first to implement bio dynamic farming practices in Châteauneuf du Pape in 1990.  

I learned from Wine.com that in 2013 the sisters were recognized by Robert Parker who wrote "Over the last 12 years, the biodynamically farmed vineyard has risen to the top of Chateauneuf-du-Pape's quality hierarchy. The two red wines produced have been stunning, with the regular cuvée of Chateauneuf-du-Pape one of the finest in the appellation, and the limited production Cuvée Vieilles Vignes one of the world’s truly magnificent wines." 

How could I not order up a bottle of this wine after a review like that?!!  

Dinner plate with Lirac

This is an amazing bottle of wine at less than $30 a bottle.  It tastes as if you would need to pay much more than that for a wine of this quality. It is rich and full bodied.  It paired perfectly with the lamb in this Dingle Pie that I made in honor of St. Patrick's Day.  

If you haven't yet decided what to make for dinner tonight to celebrate the Irish holiday, this Dingle Pie is delicious and, if you are lucky enough to live in an area with a large wine selection available, perhaps you can find a bottle of the Domaine de Marcoux Lirac La Lorentine so you can see exactly why I was so very impressed with the pairing.

Gwendolyn will be leading us all in a twitter chat where we will expound on our discoveries regarding France's Women in Wine on Saturday, 3/19, at 11 AM ET.  You are more than welcome to join us.  You will find us by following #Winophiles.

Here are some topics that we will be discussing.......

7 comments:

  1. I loved your walk through some of the key points of women in the history of French wine making. I can't wait to grab a bottle of the Lirac wine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love the wines of Lirac. I was not familiar with the Armenier sisters and now am on a quest to learn more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This wine and a lamb dish sounds like an amazing pairing. Great find Wendy. Very cool that the Armenier sisters were the first to implement biodynamic farming practices in Châteauneuf du Pape.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto what Martin said! I'm impressed by the sisters' biodynamic farming practices. I love Lirac wines and will put this one on my list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.