Sunday, March 6, 2022

Celery Steak #SundayFunday


This is a wonderful way to take an inexpensive cut of meat, tenderize it in a marinade and stir fry it up with vegetables for a healthy, nutritious, delicious meal that doesn't break the budget.

Celery Steak

Join the Sunday Funday Bloggers as we celebrate National Celery Month.......
Sunday Funday Logo

I am hosting our group this month and, since March is National Celery Month, asked the others to join me in sharing a recipe that features this often overlooked vegetable.

Let's see what they brought to the table......
Celery Steak

Eons ago, when I was a young wife and mother in the 1970's, money was very scarce in our household.  We had bought our first house at 19% interest rate!!!!   Can you imagine that?  And that was going through the FHA that was helping first time homeowners.  Crazy!!

I learned during that time to stretch the grocery budget and this recipe, provided to me by my sister in law, helped immensely.  I would use an inexpensive cut of meat or venison, if my husband had been successful.  This is a great recipe for venison.  

meat in marinade

The long marinade flavors and tenderizes whatever kind of red meat you choose to use.  I always marinade my meat overnight but you can put it in the marinade before you leave for the day and it will be plenty flavorful and tender when you are ready to make dinner.

Celery Steak pin

This meal is a regular part of my meal rotation making an appearance several times a year, especially when I am lucky enough to be the recipient of venison gifted to me by one of the many hunters in my life.

It remains no longer because of monetary constraints but because it is so dang good!!!!  

I first shared this meal with you back in 2014, when I was a new blogger.  Take a look at it if you care to have a blast from the past and want to see how I've changed as a blogger.  


Entrees, Beef, Stir Fry, Celery, Mushrooms, Onions, Quick, Easy, Budget Friendly
Entrees, Beef
Chinese
Yield: 4 servings
Author: A Day in the Life on the Farm
Celery Steak

Celery Steak

This is a wonderful way to take an inexpensive cut of meat, tenderize it in a marinade and stir fry it up with vegetables for a healthy, nutritious, delicious meal that doesn't break the budget.
Prep time: 15 MinCook time: 15 MinInactive time: 5 HourTotal time: 5 H & 30 M

Ingredients

  • 1 lb. Round Steak, thinly sliced
  • 1/4 c. Soy Sauce
  • 4 t. Lemon Juice
  • 1 1/2 t. sugar
  • 1 t. salt
  • 1 Medium Onion, thinly sliced
  • 2 c. Bias sliced Celery
  • 1 Green Pepper, sliced
  • 12 oz. package of sliced Mushrooms.
  • 1 T. canola or peanut oil
  • 1 c. Beef Broth
  • 2 T. Cornstarch
  • Cooked rice, of choice

Instructions

  1. Combine Soy Sauce, Lemon Juice, sugar and salt in a Ziploc bag. Add Meat and place in refrigerator. Marinade at least 5 hrs. or overnight.
  2. Heat oil in large fry pan or wok. Add vegetables and stir fry until crisp tender. Add Meat with marinade and stir fry with the vegetables for 2-3 minutes, until cooked through.
  3. Combine Broth and Cornstarch. Pour over Beef and Vegetables. Bring to a boil until slightly thickened.
  4. Serve over rice.

Nutrition Facts

Calories

398.33

Fat (grams)

14.51

Sat. Fat (grams)

4.64

Carbs (grams)

27.88

Fiber (grams)

3.78

Net carbs

24.09

Sugar (grams)

6.49

Protein (grams)

40.67

Sodium (milligrams)

1776.11

Cholesterol (grams)

102.06

10 comments:

  1. I remember our first interest rate was 18 per cent! I think we re-fied about six times! P.S. This steak sounds wonderful. I love stir fries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We paid almost 14 percent back in 1987 and thought that was ridiculous! My favorite recipes are those that have stood the test of time. Sounds like this one is a keeper I have to try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love steak and I love celery, so this is a winner for me. Thank you for posting the oldie but goodie recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this steak and celery combo, a delicious recipe, will try this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wendy when we were younger we knew how to budget and make ends meet. Also had priorities to what was more important, paying mortgage or taking holidays. Present day youngsters are so different and as life gets tougher, many will not even be able to afford a down payment for a small home forget about paying mortgages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes but they will learn just as we did and then they will worry about their children and grandchildren's generation LOL.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.