The members of From Our Dinner Table Group are sharing Winter Salads today........
We share Recipes From Our Dinner Table! Join our group and share your recipes, too! While you're at it, join our Pinterest board, too!
This delicious salad takes some time but it is mostly hands off and very well worth it. You start off by tossing squash and parsnip in olive oil, salt and pepper and placing it onto a baking sheet. On this same baking sheet place some beets that have been scrubbed and drizzled with olive oil, salt and pepper before being wrapped in foil. You also are going to cut the top off of a head of garlic, drizzle with olive oil and wrap in foil. This baking pan then goes into the oven for 30-45 minutes. This is the time consuming part of the recipe.
This salad is perfect as a starter for a dinner or serve it in larger portions with a slice of crusty bread and enjoy it for lunch.
#salad, #roastedvegetables, #garlic, #Oliveoil, #balsamic, #almonds,
Salads, Vegetables, First Courses
Yield: 4 servings
Roasted Vegetable Salad with Roasted Garlic Vinaigrette
Roasted squash, beets and parsnips, tossed with bacon and romaine, topped with a roasted garlic vinaigrette and sprinkled with almonds is a perfect Winter Salad.
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 2 parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/2" slices
- 1 large beet, scrubbed
- 1 small bulb garlic
- 3 strips bacon, diced
- 1 head Romaine lettuce
- 1/2 c. sliced almonds
- Olive Oil
- 2 T. Balsamic Vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 small shallot, minced
How to cook Roasted Vegetable Salad with Roasted Garlic Vinaigrette
- Toss the squash and parsnips in a little olive oil, salt and pepper. Place onto a baking sheet lined with parchment or a silicone mat.
- Place the beet onto a piece of foil, drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and seal the foil around the beet. Place onto the baking sheet with the vegetables.
- Cut the tips off of the garlic bulb. Place root side down onto foil, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Seal and place onto the baking sheet.
- Roast in a preheated 450* oven for about half an hour, until squash and parsnips are browned and fork tender. Remove the squash and parsnips to a plate and set aside. Return the garlic and beet to the oven for another 10-15 minutes until easily pierced by a fork. Remove from oven and set aside to cool slightly.
- While vegetables are roasting, cook the diced bacon in a skillet over med high heat until crisp, 10-15 minutes. Remove to a plate lined with paper towel to drain and set aside, reserving 2 Tablespoons of the drippings.
- Unwrap the beet, run under water, removing peel with fingers. It should slip right off. Dice the beet and set aside.
- Squeeze garlic from cloves into a small bowl. Whisk in the balsamic vinegar, 2 Tablespoons of olive oil and the reserved bacon drippings. Season with salt and pepper.
- Chop the Romaine and place in a bowl. Toss with about half of the vinaigrette and transfer to a platter. Top with the roasted vegetables and sliced almonds. Drizzle with additional vinaigrette and serve.
Adapted from a recipe found at Cuisine at Home, Issue #84
Property of A Day in the Life on the Farm
Created using The Recipes Generator