Friday, January 17, 2020

Mediterranean Shrimp with a Corsican Wine #FishFridayFoodies #Winophiles

Tender, plump shrimp tossed in Mediterranean spices and then sauteed up with vegetables in a lovely tomato sauce and served over pasta.  A perfect match for an acidic and dry white wine from Corsica, France that has heavy Italian influences.


Today I am linking up Fish Friday Foodies with the French Winophiles and are you in for a treat.......
Fish Friday Foodies is a group I started 4 years ago this month.  I decided in 2016 to resolve to include more fish and seafood and less beef and pork into my diet.  To help me in this endeavor I invited some blogging friends to join me each month in sharing seafood/fish recipes based on a theme or ingredient.  It has been so rewarding and so much fun.  I have a great group of friends.  If you would like to join us just leave a comment below with a link to your blog and I will send you an invitation.

This month, our friend Sue of Palatable Pastime invited us to visit the Mediterranean for fish/seafood inspiration.  Let's see what everyone made........

Fish Friday Foodies January 2020
Mediterranean Fish & Seafood
This was a very advantageous theme for me as I also belong to a wonderful group called the French Winophiles and this month our friend, Jeff of Food Wine Click asked us to kick off the New Year by introducing our readers and friends to French Wines.
Since France borders the Mediterranean and I am a big proponent of what grows together goes together this was the perfect match.  The Winophiles get together for Twitter Chat each month to discuss what we learned and what we posted.  Please join us tomorrow morning at 11 AM ET as we talk about the Wines of France following #Winophiles. You can learn more at his Invitation Post.  Here are the topics we will be discussing......

It is sure to be a great chat.  Before I joined Winophiles, when I thought of French wine, I thought "Bordeaux".  Bordeaux equaled to me, expensive, exclusive and only for special occasions.  I was so wrong.  Since joining this group I have learned so much and still have so much more to learn.


For instance, the wine I'm sharing today comes from the Island of Corsica that sits in the Mediterranean Sea between France and Italy.  It is one of the 18 regions of France, ceded to them by Italy in 1769 in order to pay off debt owed by Genoa to the French.  This island is a wonderful fusion of French and Italian and the island maintains much of it's Italian culture.


The two cultures certainly melded together very nicely in this pairing of Mediterranean Shrimp served over Pasta and the Domaine Vico Vin de Corse Blanc with which it was paired.

Domaine Vico is the only vineyard situated in the middle of the island.   There are two distinct terroirs to this vineyard.  The first contains river pebbles and clay.  The second consists of clay and limestone interspersed with schist, which is a metamorphic rock formed from shale.  

The wine that I bought, a blend of several varieties of grapes, was tart with citrus yet well balanced and smooth.  I purchased it from Wine.com for $21.95 and enjoyed it very much.  I think this wine would work well not only with shellfish but also by itself or with appetizers before dinner.  

The dish I decided to pair with this wine was adapted from one found at The Mediterranean Dish where the author, Suzy, shares some absolutely amazing recipes.  I am going to be visiting this blog quite often.

It is a quick easy recipe.  We got home from the Teen's bowling tournament and she showered as Frank opened and poured the wine and I began cooking.  We were seated and having dinner half an hour later.  Perfect for busy weeknights.



#shrimp, #Mediterranean,#pasta,
Seafood, Entrees, Pasta,
Mediterranean
Yield: 4 servings
Author:

Mediterranean Shrimp

Mediterranean Shrimp

Tender, plump shrimp tossed in Mediterranean spices and then sauteed up with vegetables in a lovely tomato sauce and served over pasta. A perfect weeknight meal ready in under 30 minutes.
prep time: 5 Mcook time: 15 Mtotal time: 20 M

ingredients:

  • 1 lb. large shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 1 T. flour
  • 1 t. paprika
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1/2 t. ground coriander
  • pinch of cayenne
  • large pinch of sugar
  • 1 T. butter
  • 3 T. olive oil
  • 3 shallots, finely chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 yellow bell pepper, cored, seeded and thinly sliced
  • 1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes
  • 1/3 c. chicken stock
  • 2 T. dry white wine
  • juice of 1/2 lemon
  • 1/2 lb. Fettuccine Noodles cooked per package directions, if desired

instructions:

How to cook Mediterranean Shrimp

  1. Pat dry the shrimp and place in a bowl with the flour, paprika, coriander, salt, pepper, cayenne and sugar.  Toss to coat.  Set aside.
  2. Heat the butter and olive oil in a cast iron skillet over med high heat.  When hot add the shallots and garlic, cook a moment or two until fragrant.  Add the bell pepper and cook, stirring for 2-3 minutes.  
  3. Add the shrimp and cook, stirring for a few minutes.  Add the tomatoes, chicken stock, wine and lemon juice.  Cook stirring occasionally until the shrimp turns bright pink and the sauce thickens, about 5 minutes.
  4. Serve over the pasta.

NOTES:

Adapted from a recipe found at The Mediterranean Dish
Calories
434.97
Fat (grams)
15.91
Sat. Fat (grams)
3.99
Carbs (grams)
40.14
Fiber (grams)
3.66
Net carbs
36.48
Sugar (grams)
12.32
Protein (grams)
31.49
Sodium (milligrams)
1298.49
Cholesterol (grams)
247.50
Created using The Recipes Generator


18 comments:

  1. Seafood pasta and wine are always a great match. I think it makes an easy meal for Valentine's- perfect this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness - can I lick the computer screen? that looks WONDERFUL! Saving this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love quick, delicious dinners...with a wine pairing to boot!! Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how quick and easy this is - perfect excuse to have it often!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely a "to have" dish! I'm getting hungry...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy fish Fridayversary! I can't believe it's been four years! This pairing sounds amazing and perfect for a celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've also vowed to eat more fish and this Corse Blanc seems perfect for keeping those promises!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your dish looks delicious and perfect for a Corsican wine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never tried a Corsican wine before. Will look into it. Your Mediterranean Shrimp and pasta looks so good. I think my family will really like this dish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pinny and if you can find the wine the pairing is wonderful.

      Delete
  10. I agree the French Winophiles have helped expand by French wine knowledge and love of French wines. Your Mediterranean shrimp looks delicious and the perfect weeknight quick meal - with a glass of Corsican wine, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks so delicious and yum.. class pairing with wine!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.