Sunday, January 5, 2020

Sauteed Ribbons of Brussels Sprouts #OurFamilyTable

This quick and easy side dish is a wonderful, nutritious addition to your menus in the coming New Year.


We're sharing Healthier Recipes for the New Year with our From the Dinner Table Group........

Healthier Recipes for the New Year


We share Recipes From Our Dinner Table! Join our group and share your recipes, too! While you're at it, join our Pinterest board, too!

So many of us resolve to eat more healthily each year.  I do try to feed my family nutritious, good food all year long. However, we still manage to get our share of junk food and often times dinner is order in pizza.

One of the ways I find to help my family want to eat food that is nutritious is by breaking out of the boredom rut.  My family loves Brussels Sprouts so I try to find different ways to serve them so that they don't get tired of them.  



I have served them roasted with apples and onions, turned them into slaw,  and mixed the with cranberries. For today's recipe I sliced them up, sauteed them with onions, thyme and garlic and then brightened them up with a splash of red wine vinegar.  They were a hit!!



#brusselssprouts, #vegetablesides, #quick, #easy, #healthy,
Vegetables, Side Dishes
American
Yield: 8 Servings
Author:

Ribbons of Brussels Sprouts

Ribbons of Brussels Sprouts

Ribbons of Brussels Sprouts sauteed with onions and garlic and brightened up with a splash of red wine vinegar.
prep time: 15 Mcook time: 10 Mtotal time: 25 M

ingredients:

  • 3 T. butter
  • 1 sweet onion, sliced
  • leaves from 3 sprigs of thyme
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 2 lbs. Brussels sprouts, sliced
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 2 T. water
  • 1 T. red wine vinegar

instructions:

How to cook Ribbons of Brussels Sprouts

  1. Melt the butter in a large skillet over med high heat.  Add the onions and thyme and cook until softened.  Add the garlic and cook for half a minute.  
  2. Add the shredded Brussels sprouts to the pan .  Season with salt and pepper.  Add the water to the pan and cover.  Cook for about 5 minutes, until Brussels Sprouts are tender.  Stir in the vinegar and serve.

NOTES:

Adapted from a recipe found in Cuisine at Home, Issue #102
Calories
93.55
Fat (grams)
4.93
Sat. Fat (grams)
2.85
Carbs (grams)
11.40
Fiber (grams)
3.38
Net carbs
8.02
Sugar (grams)
4.06
Protein (grams)
3.31
Sodium (milligrams)
98.69
Cholesterol (grams)
11.45
Created using The Recipes Generator






16 comments:

  1. I've never seen Brussels Sprouts this way but I'd love to try them, they look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Brusssels Sprouts and this looks divine! I cannot wait to share the recipe with my husband. He's a big fan, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm, sauteeing with onion and butter might make me change my mind about Brussels Sprouts. Haha. Actually if they are prepared beyond just boiling frozen ones they are good, and so good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What simple, but yummy flavors in this side dish! I love brussels sprouts and am always looking for new ways to cook them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow this sounds so easy and delicious! As always, your recipes are so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure glad Brussels Sprouts are rising in popularity. I love seeing all the great new recipes using them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks delicious! I'm a fan of Brussels sprouts too, but struggle to get through a whole bag because my OH won't eat them! I think cooked up this way, the sprouts would be good in a lunch wrap as well as a side dish :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brussels sprouts are so delicious. I wish we had these instead of the boiled ones I grew up with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the way I feel about asparagus Christie. I had only ever had mushy canned asparagus until I got married and started cooking on my own.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.