Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Rustic Shrimp Cocktail #KitchenMatrixCookingProject

A few friends and I are cooking our way through the Kitchen Matrix Cooking Project, a cookbook written by Mark Bittman.

It is really more of a guide than a cookbook.  This suits me perfectly because that is how I look at all cookbooks. This one just happens to be written as such.

Bittman believes, and I agree, that once you have the basics of a recipe the rest is all personal preference.  Mix and match as you please.  Don't like an ingredient?  Leave it out.  Love an ingredient that isn't mentioned?  Add it.  Bittman invites you to step out of the box and think creatively.  He doesn't use too many measurements.  He might call for garlic but it is up to you how much garlic you use, if any at all.


We have been cooking from the book for several months now and we post each Tuesday.  This is the first recipe that I have made where I have stuck pretty true to what Bittman wrote.  Of course, it's easy when the recipes are written so that you add most ingredients "to taste".


This recipe is inspired by the Section, Shrimp + 12 Ways. I decided to make the Rustic Shrimp Cocktail.  Who knew that you could elevate a simple, classic appetizer to a whole new level simply by changing the cooking method and creating an easy peasy sauce!!

Large shrimp and cherry tomatoes are tossed with olive oil, salt and pepper and then roasted at a high heat for 10 minutes.


When they come out of the oven, arrange the shrimp onto a platter.  Roughly crush the tomatoes with a fork, stir in some olive oil, lemon and seasonings and you are ready to go.  Served warm instead of chilled this dish is perfect for sharing with friends.  


By the time you are done making cocktails or pouring wine the shrimp are on the table ready to be served.  I poured a bottle of Picpoul de Pinet to pair with this dish.  You can read more about that pairing and the adventures involved in finding the wine on Saturday when I gather with my friends over at The French Winophiles.



Meanwhile, here are the other shrimp dishes being paired today by those of us joining my friend, Cam of Culinary Adventures with Camilla.  We would love if you would join us on this adventure. Cam explains it all here.

Rustic Shrimp Cocktail
inspired by The Kitchen Matrix Cookbook

2 lbs. raw shrimp, peeled and deveined, tail left intact 
1 pint cherry tomatoes
1/2 c. olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
2 T. extra virgin olive oil
1 T. lemon juice
1 t. Worcestershire
1/2 T. Horseradish
2 or 3 shakes of Tabasco Sauce

Toss the shrimp and tomatoes with the 1/2 c. olive oil, salt and pepper.  Spread onto a baking sheet and roast in a preheated 500* oven for 10-12 minutes, until the shrimp are pink and the tomatoes start to burst.

Remove the Shrimp to a platter and the tomatoes to a small bowl.  Using a fork, coarsely smash the tomatoes, add the evoo, lemon juice, Worcestershire, Horseradish and Tabasco.  Stir to combine, place into a serving bowl and pass along with the Shrimp.  Print Recipe

6 comments:

  1. That looks SO good. I will definitely have to get more shrimp now. And I love that you poured the Picpoul with it. Great pairing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great pairing but I liked the Picpoul all by itself as well.

      Delete
  2. I need to get more creative in my cooking! I love shrimp!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shrimp is so delicious and so easy. One of our favorites too, Paula.

      Delete
  3. This sounds delicious! You always have the best shrimp cocktail recipes (one of which I've made and loved)!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.